Author Topic: 1966 Factory AM 8 Track - Knobs  (Read 675 times)

Offline 196667Bob

1966 Factory AM 8 Track - Knobs
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:48:20 AM »
On another site, the question came up about the knobs used on Factory AM - 8 Tracks. There were several comments, including that they were the same as those on the Standard AM Push Button Radio, and that they appeared the same, but were different, In trying to give a definitive response to this question, I checked my 1966 Electrical Assembly Manual, and my 1960-68 MPC. Both sources show that the Tone Control Discs (knobs) were the same on both the AM and AM - 8 Track radios, but the outer knobs were in fact different, having different Part Numbers (see attached from the MPC). In addition, I checked eBay and found that on 2 of the 3 AM - 8 Tracks that are currently listed which have knobs, the knobs do, in fact, appear similar to the Standard AM Radio knobs. To try to resolve the difference (s), I pulled my 1966 AM - 8 Track out of its storage box (where it has been "waiting" for over 30 years to be installed in my '66), and to my chagrin, I found that my knobs did not look at all like the Standard AM Radio knobs (obviously, my unit has the incorrect knobs).

I asked for someone with a known Factory original AM - 8 Track to provide pictures and dimensions of their knobs in order to clarify the differences. I have received no responses. Therefore, I bring this request to "our" Forum :

Would someone, with a known Factory original AM - 8 Track, remove their 2 knobs, take pictures and measurements (length of knob without the shaft, diameter of each end of the knob, and length of the shaft) and Post them in a Reply to this thread. If everything is the same on both knobs of the AM - 8 Track, please state as such. I will then do the same with the Standard AM radio knobs so we can compare the two. I think that this is the only way to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 Factory AM 8 Track - Knobs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:06:17 AM »
Interesting find.  I have about 20 65-66 radio knobs.  Laid them all out and they're all the same.  Have had a few 8-track's, but don't recall anything different about the knobs.  Maybe they're a bit longer or the inner shafts are different?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin