Author Topic: 64 1/2 tail light harness to turn signal switch connectors  (Read 615 times)

Offline MarkIV

64 1/2 tail light harness to turn signal switch connectors
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
Hi,
My name is Mark & I'm new here.
I have a 64 1/2 poppy red convertible 289 4 speed that I've owned for 48 years.
I'm replacing the tail light harness & the original harness has 5 single bullet connectors where it connects under the dash.
The Scott Drake harness has 3 separate bullet connectors & a double pole plastic connector for the turn signal switch.
I think that was used in the later cars.
Do I have to cut those wires & splice bullet connectors?
I tried attaching a photo but it didn't work.

Mark

Offline jwc66k

Re: 64 1/2 tail light harness to turn signal switch connectors
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
Mark,
Welcome. The guy to get you an answer is midlife. He is on the forum and will probably chime in soon.
I recommend you get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car, available at most Mustang shops, brick and online.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
Yes, the original 64.5 tail had all male bullets, including the orange/blue and green/red that go to the turn signal connector.  You'll either need to splice female bullets on the repro turn signal harness or find a mate from a 65-66 tail.  I think you''re better off splicing female bullets, as these are available from your local auto parts store. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline MarkIV

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank you. That's what I surmised.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:19:58 AM »
There are two "standard" size bullet connectors, 0.156 inch dia and 0.187 inch dia. I believe you want the 0.187 inch dia type. To get a less obvious reproduction terminal installation, remove the existing insulation from the terminal, crimp it in place (use a decent crimping tool, DO NOT USE VICE GRIPS), coat the crimped part with black liquid tape, available at Home Depot. Several coats are needed to build up the insulation. Liquid tape is quick drying, and uses acetone to clean up (i contacted the manufacturer about that).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MarkIV

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I had the correct bullet connectors. I chose to file down the back flared part of the plastic insulator on them, crimp them on & cover with shrink wrap. Not exact but not bad.
Thanks again
Mark