Author Topic: 1966 San Jose Undercarriage Paint Code  (Read 892 times)

Offline Morsel

1966 San Jose Undercarriage Paint Code
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
I know this has been discussed a million times, but I'm getting prepared for painting my undercarriage. The car was a 1966 February 10th San Jose build. What I keep finding when I search around is the paint code PPG DP-74LF, but all the posts I'm finding are really old. Is this still a good red ox match color that people are using. I know it varied a little, but trying to get something that looks good and pretty correct.

I've attached picture of an image I found from Brant that looked pretty close to my color while I was stripping the undercarriage.

Thanks,

Jason
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:54:48 PM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Online jwc66k

Re: 1966 San Jose Undercarriage Paint Code
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »
These are some pictures of my San Jose GT Fastback, scheduled March 28, undercarriage.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
That's interesting, it's what I excepted to find to be honest, but mine was a little more... I don't want to call it burgundy, but a little darker and less orange looking, more like the picture I posted from Brant (which actually was a car built within a week of mine...

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
IMHO never was a "real good match" but something owners/builders could use out of the can. Something easy that some were looking for. Also if you use this one product out of the can then your can't restore a car with the variation of shade and or tint between the front and the rear coatings like you find on factory built cars.

I've always mixed my own by adding in exterior colors or tints but with the changes in the product lines my mix formula is not much help. Have mentioned it before that I match the wife's cars color (what we believe may have been a Feb built San Jose car) over a 3-6 month period of playing a little at a time as illustrated in on of the test panels shown below with all the variations. Did this when the lead base was still available luckily in fact the paint shop called me when they were down to the last gallon of the base and wanted to see if I wanted another gallon made while they still could make it

Very happy with the outcome

As we've discussed before when viewing these on line they are often different than what they are in person. Lightly, monitor settings and camera settings all come into play

Three examples of the color

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)