Author Topic: Convertible "panic strap"?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline 66nag

Convertible "panic strap"?
« on: August 09, 2021, 05:57:20 AM »
Hello!
I have a '66 San Jose convertible that had one of these "panic straps" attached under the coat hook with the coat hook screw, on the drivers side.
Was there supposed to be one on the other side, if there was supposed to be one at all?
I cannot seem to find any reference of such a strap in any threads or convertible pictures.
Would it have come from the factory, or attached after market?
(The car was relatively original when I bought it 15 yrs ago - I am now just having to replace the roof, and would like to replace the strap if it came from the factory like that).
Kind regards,
Bj

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Convertible "panic strap"?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 09:11:52 AM »
do not believe that is factory original. never seen anything like that on a mustang. my dad's 1947 ford coupe had one.
5F09C331248

Offline lancelot66

Re: Convertible "panic strap"?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »
That's very interesting. This is the first time over all these years that someone out there has this in a Mustang. In 1977, I bought my first mustang coupe that had them on each side (6RO7T128891). They were white, matching the exterior color (M), headliner and visors, otherwise, a red standard interior, Seattle DSO. When the car was rear ended and totaled in 1987, I saved them and later dyed them red for our fastback. They were useful for the back seat passengers, to help extractions be a bit more graceful... I removed them a few years back because I've never seen them or found any supportive documentation. Guessing they were a dealer installed option, for certain not common. They're still laying on the bench in the garage....
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options