Author Topic: C6ZB-14401-B Under dash harness replacement  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Rexter

C6ZB-14401-B Under dash harness replacement
« on: July 10, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
Hi
I am in the proses(process) to replace the original under dash wire harness that is named C6ZB-14401-B, because it has been tampered with.

I see in the Master parts and accessories catalog that the replacement harness is C6ZB-14401-F.

I have received the reproduction harness from Alloy Metal Products (C6ZB-14401-F), but it got more connectors than C6ZB-14401-B.

Does anyone know what would be the closest/ most correct replacement harness for this car that is reproduced?
Is it the C6ZB-14401-F that would be the best replacement?

It is a GT car so I need the wire harness to have the one wire that goes to the fog light circuit breaker.
It?s an October 1965 car.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 10:55:25 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: 14401-B Under dash harness replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
I am in the proses(process) to replace the original under dash wire harness that is named C6ZB-14401-B, because it has been tampered with.
I see in the Master parts and accessories catalog that the replacement harness is C6ZB-14401-F.
I have received the reproduction harness from Alloy Metal Products (C6ZB-14401-F), but it got more connectors than C6ZB-14401-B.
Does anyone know what would be the closest/ most correct replacement harness for this car that is reproduced?
Is it the C6ZB-14401-F that would be the best replacement?
It is a GT car so I need the wire harness to have the one wire that goes to the fog light circuit breaker.
It?s an October 1965 car.
I attached three pages from the 1968 and 1975 editions of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) that might explain what happened.
The first is from the 1968 MPC. It show three different main harnesses, base number 14401, used at different times in 1966 production. You said your original was an October 65 build (same as two of my 1966 Mustangs). Ford made "running changes", in 1965-66 to accommodate new requirements. I think that emergency flashers were one, the others I don't know. If you note that the 1966 replacing service numbers are one or each of the three.
However, Ford consolidated parts and the 1975 edition (the second attachment) shows what you got, a -F. It was the only replacement by 1975. The third attachment confirms this.
So. What do you do? Use the PM feature of this Forum and ask Forum member "midlife" for a recommendation. He restores harnesses. He may have a "trick".
Jim
One more item. There is no difference between GT optioned Mustangs and regular production underdash harnesses. Additional harnesses are used for fog lamps. The same applies to convertibles.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:40:28 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: C6ZB-14401-B Under dash harness replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 12:29:47 AM »
Based upon actual harnesses, I know of only 2 major variants in 1966: early and late.  The main differences are the later one has an integrated 4-way flasher, different types of plugs for the NSS plugs, and a slightly different tail-light harness plug, but is compatible with an earlier tail-light harness.
What I see in your original harness is the early variant.  Unless you are going for Thoroughbred class, I can refurbish that harness to an excellent working harness that meets the original specifications of continuity.  While not concours correct in all respects, my work, when done, would be far superior to the reproduction version.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Rexter

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 04:25:47 PM »
Thanks for the answers Jim and midlife

I am going with a replacement harness because if I am going to ship something from Norway to USA and back I want to ship a bit more than one harness.

I got a couple of follow up questions:

Jim you wrote: ''There is no difference between GT optioned Mustangs and regular production underdash harnesses. Additional harnesses are used for fog lamps.''
I can see that I got the additional harness that is used for the fog lamps. But there is one wire from the additional harness for the fog lamps and one wire from the under dash harnesses that goes to the fog light circuit breaker.
Does all the under dash harnesses got the one dedicated wire that is used to the fog light circuit breaker? Or does that only apply for the 1966 harnesses?

midlife you wrote: ''The main differences are the later one has an integrated 4-way flasher, different types of plugs for the NSS plugs''
Is NSS plugs a shorten for Neutral Safety Switch plugs?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 04:56:26 PM »
yes. NSS - neutral safety switch.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 08:09:39 PM »
I got a couple of follow up questions:
''There is no difference between GT optioned Mustangs and regular production underdash harnesses. Additional harnesses are used for fog lamps.''
I can see that I got the additional harness that is used for the fog lamps. But there is one wire from the additional harness for the fog lamps and one wire from the under dash harnesses that goes to the fog light circuit breaker.
Does all the under dash harnesses got the one dedicated wire that is used to the fog light circuit breaker? Or does that only apply for the 1966 harnesses?
For 1965 Fog lamps, there are "differences", there are "similarities" and there are some identical items under the dash. Both 65 and 66 underdash harnesses came with the fog lamp feed wire, taped to the 14401 harness until needed. The fog lamp harness is the same for 65 and 66. The circuit breaker is the same, but located in a different place. The switch is different. Concentrate on your requirements. It's less confusing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 10:15:44 PM »
For 1965 Fog lamps, there are "differences", there are "similarities" and there are some identical items under the dash. Both 65 and 66 underdash harnesses came with the fog lamp feed wire, taped to the 14401 harness until needed. The fog lamp harness is the same for 65 and 66. The circuit breaker is the same, but located in a different place. The switch is different. Concentrate on your requirements. It's less confusing.
Jim
Just to clarify: only the 65 GT/Ponycar version has provisions for the fog lamp, and is the same as both 66 variants.  It ends in an unfused BAT powered ring connector that attaches to the circuit breaker.  If not used, it was heavily wrapped with gaffers tape to the main harness to protect it from shorting that line. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 12:22:15 AM »
Just to clarify: only the 65 GT/Ponycar version has provisions for the fog lamp, and is the same as both 66 variants.
According to the "1965 Mustang Electrical Manual" (AM0008) pages 18 and 40, the main underdash harness is the same for GT and non-GT, C5ZB-14401-G. That's because fog lamps were a stand alone option. The referenced pages do not have implementation or superseded dates, but the 1968 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) Sect 144 pg 3, shows a "from" date of 4/1/65 for C5ZB-14401-G. That date is the "official" date for the GT option. There are several other options and a note that references the use of a single speed or a two speed windshield washer. It's part of the growing pains for a new car model.
Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 12:45:11 AM »
According to the "1965 Mustang Electrical Manual" (AM0008) pages 18 and 40, the main underdash harness is the same for GT and non-GT, C5ZB-14401-G. That's because fog lamps were a stand alone option. The referenced pages do not have implementation or superseded dates, but the 1968 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) Sect 144 pg 3, shows a "from" date of 4/1/65 for C5ZB-14401-G. That date is the "official" date for the GT option. There are several other options and a note that references the use of a single speed or a two speed windshield washer. It's part of the growing pains for a new car model.
Jim
We're still agreeing while arguing!  LOL!  The two car models of the underdash harness you refer to are for the GT and Pony-Car (non-GT) 5 gauge cluster version of the 1965 Mustang.  There's still two other variants of the swept speedometer dash version of the 1965 Mustang - early and late, that I was trying to clarify that the 5 gauge variant is incompatible with the swept speedometer variant.  During the late 1965 time period, there was the GT, the Pony Car Interior (which used the same wiring as the GT) and the standard Mustang with the swept speedometer.  Trust me---I have dealt with nearly 200 total of these three variant 65/66 underdash harnesses. 

Offline Rexter

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 04:29:38 PM »
Yes it is the one wire that is heavily taped to the harness if not used that I was trying to refer to as the ''one wire from the under dash harnesses that goes to the fog light circuit breaker''. (It is taped on the reproduction harness that I received)

Just to see if I understand what you guys are saying, so I can look for a reproduction harness that is the closest to mine (C6ZB-14401-B).

1965 there is 1 under dash harness named C5ZB-14401-G that got the wire that is taped to the harness if not used (Fog light feed).

1966 there is 2 under dash harnesses named C6ZB-14401-B (early) and C6ZB-14401-F (late) that got the wire that is taped to the harness if not used (Fog light feed).

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 12:48:39 AM »
Yes, you want the early version (-B) and it should also have the fog lamp wire taped to the harness.