Author Topic: Removing AC expansion valve  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Deuce

Removing AC expansion valve
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
Having a tough time removing the AC expansion valve on 67 AC car.  The valve is mightily stuck on the evaporator line fitting and have been soaking it with penetrant spray, but so far no success.   I don't like thinking about removing the AC-heater box to remove / repair / replace the evaporator and expansion valve, but things seem to be heading in that direction.   Those of you with AC experience:  Any tips that might work to break the expansion valve fitting loose from the evaporator line?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:08:18 AM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Removing AC expansion valve
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
I had a similar issue of stuck fittings, but I was after trying to save the original hoses more than other items of the system. I made the tough decision at tear down to cut my evaporator itself. I had already confirmed that mice infestation had the aluminum fins shot so it was easiest to sacrifice it. My expansion valve was PLANNED to be replaced but I assumed once out on the workbench it would be easier...WRONG! With a shop-load of tools at my disposal and now being capable of putting a boxed end wrench on the old evaporator fitting (since it was sawed off now), I felt the fitting would require heat to get it to let go of being seized. Though the heat DID let the fitting break free, this heat ruined that hose too so I will add I hope somebody else can give you a better idea. Original hoses for a 67 are difficult to locate, I think harder than the 68's which are slightly different to the eye (but fit). Good luck ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
I would try a water soaked rag wrapped around the hose and carful use of heat on the fitting.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »
I wonder if the U tube video of the guy removing the frozen lug nut with candle wax and a match would be helpful here . The wax wicks into the threads while holding the match underneath . It worked on the video for a frozen lug nut. Other then that , HEAT . The typical heat needed would ruin the hose typically unless you had one of those induction tools that localizes the heat to a small area. Keep us posted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
Removal and replacement of the expansion valve was successful yesterday.  The technique used was similar to Bob's concept of heating and wicking; we used a small propane soldering torch for heating and liquid penetrant for wicking applied to the flare nut on the evaporator inlet pipe.  (The hose-end fitting on the valve was not stuck and the hose had been previously removed).

After a few heating and wicking cycles, the flare nut fitting finally broke loose.  We used a long wrench on the flare nut and a second wrench to secure the valve while breaking the fitting loose.  (Shock tower brace had been removed).  The new valve was installed, system filled with R-134a and Select-Aire is now working in the car.

FYI, the removed expansion valve has C5OA, 19849A, 436 and FoMoCo inside rectangle stamped into it.  Don't know if it's the original or a service replacement.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:10:38 AM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72