Author Topic: Underside colour of a 67 SJ Mustang  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Rossco

Underside colour of a 67 SJ Mustang
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
I have a 67 SJ Fastback, from the factory what would have been its underside colour I have read it would have been the oxide red into black over spray from the sill edges and that many where then undersealed at the dealership

Would like to know what is correct
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:55:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Underside colour of a 67 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »
Ross,
The quick answer is yes. You might consider scraping away some of the undercoating and verifying the color. Primer was not under tight color or shade control. There are a lot of variations. Overspray is common, from the pinch weld, fender wells, engine compartment for black, and then body color in some areas too. It was done quickly so be a bit sloppy. There are a lot of picures on the subject so use the search feature.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Rossco

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
Thanks Jim

I have cleaned any area near to the trans tunnel and she is showing her original oxide red colour, so ill book some time off when it gets warmer over here and have a go at cleaning all the undersealing off

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
I have a 67 SJ Fastback, from the factory what would have been its underside colour I have read it would have been the oxide red into black over spray from the sill edges and that many where then undersealed at the dealership

For your year and plant the short answer is that the red oxide was applied first . Then the body color paint was  sprayed and any overspray from that on top of the red oxide . The black out for the pinch weld (sill edges ?) was painted last and the corresponding overspray was on top of everything else.There are various topics with illustrations and more details using the search function.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Rossco

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
Thanks Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »

As others have mentioned your car would have had two different applications of a red oxide based epoxy primer sealer applied. One from the firewall rearward and one from the firewall forward. For your cars period it was more of a muddy brown like color and since its an epoxy it would not have flat or open surface like red oxide primers

There are a fair number of prior threads and discussions as Bob mentioned if you read all of those and are still lacking on details just ask Will help if you include when your car was built since we can get more specific.  You've got some reading to do ;)

As far as undercoating (a dealer thing)  it sort of depends on where the car was delivered but most owners restoring their car ignore that step since they don't re apply it since its not factory
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rossco

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
The car went to Mosher Ford Company Dealer# 58T782 with DSO 42 Fargo

Thanks Jeff

I'll get reading, the downside being in the UK we need to protect the cars because of the wet weather and the amount of salt we use during the course of the year

Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
The car went to Mosher Ford Company Dealer# 58T782 with DSO 42 Fargo

Thanks Jeff

I'll get reading, the downside being in the UK we need to protect the cars because of the wet weather and the amount of salt we use during the course of the year

So do allot of our states and locations - people here just don't drive their older collectable cars during those conditions ;)

Also try the search with wording such as "unrestored San Jose", since you can't use "67" as a search word since its two digits and I don't often use the full 1967 in descriptions. Also narrow the search by inserting my forum name in the author area.  You will still get to see others responses and additions once in the thread but this can reduce the number of results to only a few hundred this way ;)

One such thread where I posted 67 unrestored undercarriage pictures of a San Jose example was

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5499.msg49179#msg49179

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)