Author Topic: installation of 67 deluxe seatback  (Read 2657 times)

Offline HomerJay

installation of 67 deluxe seatback
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:09:04 AM »
Hi Folks,

just got my used original Ford deluxe seatbacks. I tried to install them, but without success. I am unable to get the both hocks of the seatbacks into the holes of the seatframe. Tried to bend them in different angles, but it wont work. Any Ideas how to get them in?

Thanks Homer

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: installation of 67 deluxe seatback
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
Pictures might help to see what perhaps you are missing. I do not have any pictures of the particular parts while they are screwed into place with the backs removed but I will try to describe them (from memory).
Screwed to the back side of the upper seat frame, there should be two (black) metal brackets with nylon spacers behind them. Factory Deluxe seat frames have the holes properly pre-drilled (there are two holes per bracket, two brackets per seat)  The seat upholstery covers these holes so they need to be located using an awl or the likes (ought to have been done as the upholsetery was installed to find them easiest but they can be located otherwise if you use your hard seat back hooks as a guide)  If perhaps you DO NOT have original deluxe seat frames with the holes already in them for the aforementioned brackets, that may be a little more difficult to get the brackets screwed into the correct locations. If that is the case, I do have a pair of seat cores that I could measure or photograph. Ask if needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
Yes i do have original FoMoCo Seatbacks. They are screwed at the lower side with one screw and with two on the lower back side. On the upper area they are fixed with 2 hooks. There are no holes for screws on mine.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:20:55 AM by HomerJay »

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
do i have to insert them here?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:21:29 AM by HomerJay »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
do i have to insert them here?

NO, you did NOT show the brackets that your "hooks" hook into. There are two small brackets and nylon shim spacers screwed onto the back of the seat frames that you may be missing. The hooks (that are riveted from factory) on the seat backs slide into these two small brackets I am speaking of. There are no screw holes on the seat backs themselves up high. I think you are simply missing these smaller brackets and the shim spacers.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
Ah, ok, thanks a lot!!! That makes sense. So I have to get those parts. Does anyone offer them new or maybe used?

And do you know the exact position?

Edit: the holes must be there, cause the seatbacks were installed there before the frames got under Restauration. I guess the guy who did the restauration removed the brackets. Hopefully I can get some new ones.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:46:01 AM by HomerJay »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
Do you need a picture of the brackets? My seatbacks are off.

-Keith

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »
A picture would be cool!

Here is my seat. Guess I can see the holes, but no brackets

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
So if I could get the dimensions of the brackets also and the distance of the holes, I can make them by my self from Aluminium.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
There are also brackets for installing the lower deluxe seat trim (bottom sides of seat portion). If your missing the seat back pieces you might also be missing the  lower ones too. If you have to make them I would waste the time with aluminum. It is too weak of a metal for the tension needed to secure the top clips . Be very carefiul with the top clips of the seat hard back . They will break loose from the hardback plastic very easily.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
So if I could get the dimensions of the brackets also and the distance of the holes, I can make them by my self from Aluminium.

The distance of the holes would be seen or set by where they are drilled into the round tube of the seat frame. REMEMBER, there were nylon spacers used originally under the brackets. The brackets are made of tin, likely a scrap piece of sheet metal about a 1/2 inch wide, perhaps 2 to three inches long bent into a shape similar to this:   ___[--------------]___.  (Note, I am not into computer graphics so this image is only 'similar"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:04:00 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
The distance of the holes would be seen or set by where they are drilled into the round tube of the seat frame. REMEMBER, there were nylon spacers used originally under the brackets. The brackets are made of tin, likely a scrap piece of sheet metal about a 1/2 inch wide, perhaps 2 to three inches long bent into a shape similar to this:   ___[--------------]___.  (Note, I am not into computer graphics so this image is only 'similar"

Found a picture I had, look at the bottom four brackets (two for each seat) and the white spacers. The other brackets are what Bob was mentioning. NOTE: Later '67's also use yet another bracket (not pictured) for the center of the lower seat trim.

Also, the two brackets for the lower seat trim NOT pictured, are the same right & left and looks "T" shaped. There is a dog-leg bend in the base of the "T" to offset that bracket about 3/8 inch away from the seat frame. Again, a picture worth a thousand words but I don't think I have a picture of those brackets. Again, this is the center bracket used only on the LATER '67's (perhaps January '67 and on. Discussed some in another thread)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:27:25 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »
Hey, thanks so much! I guess I will produce them by myself. Couldn't be to hard  ;)

What a great community here!!!

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
Yes i do have original FoMoCo Seatbacks. They are screwed at the lower side with one screw and with two on the lower back side. On the upper area they are fixed with 2 hooks. There are no holes for screws on mine.

those are the "hooks i described"

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=f7c425-1482321933.jpg
Bilderklau^^
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
From an earlier thread - Search feature is your friend :)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2974.msg15836#msg15836
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)