Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Survey - V8 Radiator Hose Study and Survey  (Read 1639 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
66 SJ Running Change Survey - V8 Radiator Hose Study and Survey
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
As the subject title states this thread is provided to collect and discuss the change over from the band earlier style radiator hose clamps to the wire style clamps. Due to an inquire I noticed that though the subject was brought up we never focused on when the change may have been implemented.

It appears (well so far) that Ford choose to to try out a new style hose clamp after using the band style for many years. The new style was designed with two wire loops that were attached to the hose at each end with a series of staples. Its though that the staples held the clamp stay in place and in the designed orientation as planned. The test of design was not carried over to the 6 cylinder engines that year and in later years San Jose did return to the band clamps on some small block applications.

The V8 wire clamps were also accompanied by a change in the upper and lower radiator hoses and markings changed to include the wording Pat Pending in the design

Examples of the band style clamp

The fact that this picture also shows that the radiator ID tag is the soldered on style helps provide us with some additional information about when that car was built. It's been identified as 6S59x 

And the wire style

Picture from 1966

Fifty year old hose is swelled allot from age and likely internal damage and deterioration. Car is 6S188x

And earlier related thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9180.0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:45:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 SJ Running Change Survey - V8 Radiator Hose Study and Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
I invite anyone who believes they have examples of original hoses and clamps on their 66 San Jose V8's to add it to the thread in hopes that we can focus the change over as best we can at this time.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:10:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
Some examples from the Unrestored Picture Thread Section for 66 Mustangs & Shelbys

EC12- From Early 66 GT350 - Unrestored Picture Thread /6S4xx

EC2- From 66 San Jose GT Coupe - Unrestored - Picture Thread/6R07A1793xx

No Pic Label (Posted prior to that practice) Late 66 San Jose C Code Coupe- Unrestored Picture Thread/6R07C23137x

Jeff Speegle

Offline hertz350

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
I am interested in seeing more pictures and learning more about this as I am resorting a March 66 San Jose built car. Members, please post more with vin range. Thank you

Offline hertz350

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1120-422502/1966-shelby-gt350h-fastback/

This is a link to SFM6S1621 that sold at a Mecum auction in Vegas this November. It was advertised as unrestored. The invoice date on the car was April 7,1966, Don't know if the hose clamps are original.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
This is a link to SFM6S1621 that sold at a Mecum auction in Vegas this November. It was advertised as unrestored. The invoice date on the car was April 7,1966, Don't know if the hose clamps are original.

Looking at the pictures of that car I would at least suggest that the hoses and clamps are suspect given that the radiator and the thermostat housing are not original. I do have it represented in my spreadsheet but with a question mark along side. When it was for sale on Ebay before the Mecum attempt there were a few additional pictures if I recall correctly

Can't tell from the poor picture quality if the hose is a reproduction but that style hose and clamps have been available for decades so they can look old after all these years in installed on a driven car

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:49:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline hertz350

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »
Would love to see more replies.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
Another data point. This is from the French 66 Shelby assembly line film that in one clip shows a March 66 calendar hanging in the guard shack

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I10-  Just a couple of observations

Orange arrow - Appears to be the wire style of radiator hose clamps on the upper hose. As we would expect  of we have the correct 1966 month

Green arrow - Engine feed wire loom ID label/tag"
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 07:32:24 PM »
In the first post did add in a partial VIN for  a couple of the pictures

More from my collection

Since I don't believe this style clamp was sold over the counter IMHO its likely that its an original that was swapped from the original hose when replaced

6R07C1981xx

Lower hose shows original hose and clamps

Another example where the original hose clamp was IMHO likely retained though the hose was replaced by a reproduction. Car identified as 6S146x

Form closer to the end of the model year so its not much help in helping determine the change over

6R07C2313xx

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:51:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »
Added a few more to the last post
Jeff Speegle

Offline hertz350

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 11:42:29 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. Looking more and more like my March built Shelby, 6R09K175xxx should have the wire clamps.I probably need the ugly (IMHO) reproduction hoses made by Kevin Marti. I would rather use nos Ford C3DZ hoses and the wire clamps but don't want the point deduction.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. Looking more and more like my March built Shelby, 6R09K175xxx should have the wire clamps.I probably need the ugly (IMHO) reproduction hoses made by Kevin Marti. I would rather use nos Ford C3DZ hoses and the wire clamps but don't want the point deduction.

We have further to go to figure out when the change happened but for your car I would agree at this point. Sure there are other things to focus on

PM with an idea sent
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:08:14 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 10:20:50 AM »
Just a thought...
Thermactor WITH Factory AC has a belt that could interfere with the older 65 year model hoses and we all know the assembly plant would wish to exhaust existing inventory first so Assemblyline examples could vary a bit on DSO 71 & 72 orders.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments