Author Topic: Oil Pressure Sending Unit  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Building 3

Oil Pressure Sending Unit
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
I have had my third Chinese repro oil pressure sending unit fail. So I guess I have learned my lesson.  (They have failed on both of my cars. No more than a couple of hundred miles on either one of them.) Now my question is: Is there a source for the real deal Ford sending units or someone that rebuilds them?  Can they be rebuilt if I can find a used one? I saw in one thread here that these bell shaped (for the gauge) sending units were the standard issue for Ford V8's until 1985.  Is that the case? Are they really all the same or do they have different pressure ratings depending on the engine?  If they were available through 1985 MY, finding one may be easier. Thanks.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline mjd 65

Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »
The same basic unit was used into the late 80s. The Motorcraft service replacement part number is SW-1547-B and should be very easy to find.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Building 3

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the information. I will check with the local Ford dealer. Maybe it is still in the system. If not, then the internet.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
I just Google'd the part number and they're available at several sites. The trickier part I've found in the past is finding a Ford one with the correct yellow/gold dichromate finish. It looks to me like all the Motorcraft ones have gone to the clear zinc (sliver) color....you get at least a 2 year warranty on 'em though!
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
The warranty is even better news!

Offline amishtechnology

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »
Is there a source for the '66 model sending unit with the correct finish and original markings? I understand the originals had a fomoco stamp and gold zinc finish? Or did they have the KS marking? Not clear to me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:41:39 PM by amishtechnology »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »
Is there a source for the sending unit with the correct finish and original markings? I understand the originals had a fomoco stamp and gold zinc finish.
The KS trademark is the most prevalent marking in 66 . The Fomoco and the KS marked senders were both plated Zinc Dichromate (gold).NOS or restored versions sell typically for 150.00-250.00 on ebay or swap meets. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline amishtechnology

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 12:38:16 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Bob. I have a fomoco version with gold plating so was primarily trying to determine if that works.

Offline amishtechnology

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:49 AM »
Bob, one other item for clarification: can you shed light on the 80, 90 and 100 I see stamped on the base of various units? Which one is correct for which application?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 02:53:07 PM »
Bob, one other item for clarification: can you shed light on the 80, 90 and 100 I see stamped on the base of various units? Which one is correct for which application?

Pressure limit or rating depending on how you apply it.  Also there is a date stamp on the opposite side if someone with a heavy wrench hasn't already been in there and rubbed on the surface a bit  >:(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline amishtechnology

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

I've heard the 80s were used for non-hipo ford small blocks, the 90s were used for the k-code and maybe the 100s were later for 351 or big blocks. Are there any reasonable rules of thumb like that? Or are they more or less interchangeable for our purposes? When I run across these items for sale, I'd like to make sure I know which ones are likely correct for which application.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

I've heard the 80s were used for non-hipo ford small blocks, the 90s were used for the k-code and maybe the 100s were later for 351 or big blocks. Are there any reasonable rules of thumb like that?

Just took the Christmas lights down so will look into my resources. Don't recall the 100 every being original for these applications (considering the section the thread is posted in)   Of course if NOS/service replacements get added to the pile then you'll see a 100 in the mix I believe

There is a lter version with the Ford script on the attaching fitting face

Or are they more or less interchangeable for our purposes? ...............

Uh - no considering the site and the subject there is likely one answer and the others would be incorrect for our purposes ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:04:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)