Author Topic: Cleveland Block  (Read 485 times)

Offline Cool Times

Cleveland Block
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:51:53 PM »
Good evening,

My A code 1967 mustang (San Jose built on 5/8) 4 speed with thermactor.  The tag reads as follows:

289 C  67  15
7-D   E   250-B

The 289 was casted 4/25 and assembled 4/27.  The tag states that it's a Cleveland block (c), but the matching heads are dated 2/1 and 1/31.  The heads are thermactor heads with the single port and had the complete thermactor system.  However, they also have the WF casting in the valley for Windsor.  The heads are suspect by being casted 12 weeks ahead of the block.  But, wanted to confirm that a Cleveland block would always have had Cleveland heads.  Seems like a stupid question, but wanted to confirm.

Thank you.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Cleveland Block
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
There are two other dates you need to look at. There's the casting date hidden by the starter - you have to remove the starter - and the one near the distributor - (see the picture) that is either the actual assembly date, or the final inspection date.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »
The starter date is 4/25 and the date by the distributor is 4/27.
Thank you

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:23:25 AM »
The 289 was casted 4/25 and assembled 4/27.  The tag states that it's a Cleveland block (c), but the matching heads are dated 2/1 and 1/31.  The heads are thermactor heads with the single port and had the complete thermactor system.  However, they also have the WF casting in the valley for Windsor.  The heads are suspect by being casted 12 weeks ahead of the block.  But, wanted to confirm that a Cleveland block would always have had Cleveland heads.  Seems like a stupid question, but wanted to confirm.

Wanted to post part of my PM response over int he forum in response to your post also

After a bit of reading I think it is possible that the Windsor heads could be original to your engines since Cleveland was not producing the internal version of the Thermactor systems so they would have had to been cast in Canada, shipped and stored for at least a while till needed for the assembly at Cleveland  but not sure why Ford just didn't have the complete engine built in Canada rather than Cleveland.

So directly to you question. I don't know if "always " applies in this example. I don't recall hearing of a similar case but I don't keep track of casting foundries along with dates and details I do for engines. Would say that the possibility IMHO exists given the situation in spring of 67
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
Thank you.  Keeps curiosity alive.  I did order Bob Mannel’s vbook from his RPM site and will hopefully have next week.  Appreciate the insight.
Mike

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
Typo correction:  Bob Mannel’s book. Should have used spell check...