Author Topic: 67 289 Intake manifold bolts  (Read 2286 times)

Offline 7R02A

67 289 Intake manifold bolts
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
Is it unusual to have different intake manifold bolt head markings?  The size of the bolts are all the same, but markings are different and the shape of the heads is different.  3 different types on my intake.  I had looked thru a lot of pictures on this site, but can't see the details of these bolts.  If this is normal, dose it matter where the different types go?  I.e. Was some bolts put in at one station and others at another station.  So the works might have been using two different boxes of bolts. Car details is in signature.  Any help is appreciated.  John
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:02:36 PM by J_Speegle »
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline jwc66k

Re: 67 Intake manifold bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »
It's not unusual to have different head markings on bolts on any area of an assembled car. Engines were assembled at a different plant than the cars themselves but a similar procedure was use. When your supply was empty, someone filled it. It's been reported a worker with a bucket did the act filling the empty bucket with the contents of his.
You might try the Library section of this forum and see if the Bolt Head Marking Types you encountered are shown. There are two posts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
Is it unusual to have different intake manifold bolt head markings?  The size of the bolts are all the same, but markings are different and the shape of the heads is different.  3 different types on my intake.  I had looked thru a lot of pictures on this site, but can't see the details of these bolts.  If this is normal, dose it matter where the different types go?  I.e. Was some bolts put in at one station and others at another station.  So the works might have been using two different boxes of bolts. Car details is in signature.  Any help is appreciated.  John
Yes it is not typical for there to be a mixture of head mfg marks for the same style bolt on the same engine.  It also depends on the engine plant and engine for instance although small block MFG markings sometimes varied on bolt usage, I can't remember seeing a variation on a cast iron FE bigblock intake bolt 67-70 .  FE bigblocks were made at the Detroit engine plant and smallblocks were made at the Cleveland engine plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
Yes it is not typical for there to be a mixture of head mfg marks for the same style bolt on the same engine.  It also depends on the engine plant and engine for instance although small block MFG markings sometimes varied on bolt usage, I can't remember seeing a variation on a cast iron FE bigblock intake bolt 67-70 .  FE bigblocks were made at the Detroit engine plant and smallblocks were made at the Cleveland engine plant.

I believe Windsor plant also made small blocks in 67
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 289 Intake manifold bolts
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Yes it is not typical for there to be a mixture of head mfg marks for the same style bolt on the same engine. .................

Agree that it would be unusual to have a mix if there were indeed two or more different suppliers for those bolts (different head markings) If there were two styles (not saying there were - haven't checked to see) then there would be a period of time where there would have been a transition were maybe 100 engines (maybe more  or so would reflect that change over.

Chances of having three different bolts on the same intake originally?  Just my opinion pretty odd. Believe that all the intake bolts were added at the same station
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:04:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
Thank you to all for the feedback.  Looks like I need to find some bolts.  Would anybody know what type markings would be typical for a Dec 67 small block?
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
Thank you to all for the feedback.  Looks like I need to find some bolts.  Would anybody know what type markings would be typical for a Dec 67 small block?
John

Do you mean Dec 1966? (signature check)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
Yes sir.  Dec 66 built.  Thank you Richard.
John

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Do you have the engine assembly plant from the tag? 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
Looks like I need to find some bolts.  Would anybody know what type markings would be typical for a Dec 67 small block?
What head markings do you have now? You might not need a full set (service p/n 378484-S(2)). In any case, get a set of new rubber coated aluminum washers from AMK - kit number F-702 (Ford p/n 379257-S100).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »
Attached is a picture of the three types.  The one with no markings is the only one of the group.  4 had the "E" and all the rest were "L5".  All had the aluminum washer that used to be covered in rubber.  I have already sourced new washers.  Assembly plant per the  tag is Cleveland.
John