Author Topic: My Garage Find  (Read 2292 times)

Offline 64.5 Steve

My Garage Find
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I would like to tell you about my recent find. She came from an old friend of mine who purchased her from am auto body shop in Colorado in Sept of '64 ( I do have original Reg from September of '64). She was buried in a garage since the last time Reg was 1983. He said he had to park it when it wasn't reliable enough for him he tried to fix . But after moving things around we could finally open door and see plate almost fell over when I seen 00139 at end of vin . Well put her on a flat bed and drop in my driveway after replacing Radiator,gas tank. All fuel ,heater hoses, put wires on correct and put all the same plugs in her she started right up (couldn't believe it) she clattered a little but that's all quite now for a 52 year old car. Power steering makes noice need S rebuild has a little over 83k miles on it. I did email Bob Fria and he confirmed with me how special this car is . I will appreciate anything that you can help me with in advance goin to have lots of questions.
Thanks 64.5 Steve

Offline Turnall

Re: My Garage Find
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »
Steve,

Been watching the thread over on VMF.  Glad you brought this particular vehicle over here for some advice as well.  You won't be disappointed and great find.

Allen

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
That's a great find!  My best advice at this stage is to carefully store and preserve any parts you replace, particularly major items like the radiator, water pump, fuel pump, etc.   Because the  car has been stored since 1983, it is likely many of the original parts are intact and can be rebuilt.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »
 Nice score!  And there are those who say cars like that are no longer out there waiting to be found.

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
Welcome....

Great find!!   Thanks for sharing the pictures, it's what we all dream about.  ;)  Good luck with it and keep us posted on what you find and your progress.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
As you may know, the 05C scheduled date means this was a pre-production car.  It could have been built at any time from Fall '63 through March '64.  A lot of the 05C cars were not built as a normal Mustang on the assembly line.  They were test cars and/or special use.  There are going to be some very unique details about this car depending on how original it is.  You may be scratching your head when you run into them.  I would hope that you spend the time to do some detective work throughout the car and document what you find.  Look at all the date codes throughout, like glass, sheet metal, engine components, steering box.  It will help ascertain better when the car may have been actually built.

There were approximately 200 or so unit number reserved for 05C pre-production designation.  Cars with 09C are the official assembly line production start cars.  The earliest unit number on an 09C car found so far is 100211.

Try not to do any restoration work at this time until you can determine what exactly you have.  Also, do not throw anything away.  You mentioned you swapped out the gas tank and radiator.  Those are 2 very unique items that you may end up wanting to restore (if possible).
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »
One other thing, 100145 is also a rangoon red 260 auto convertible with black interior, console and rally-pac.  It is located in England.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
Welcome Steve, glad you made it over here.  You made the right decision.  There are many very knowledgeable people here.  Take it slow my friend.  You need to document this car.  Take pictures, lots of pictures.  I'd say at least several hundred, high resolution pictures of every inch of the car.  These pictures will be invaluable to the hobby.  As said, if you bought this car to restore, you may want to wait a bit.  Maybe even buy another Mustang to restore?  You are now the caretaker of a unique part of American history.  Good luck my friend. 
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline 64.5 Steve

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
Thank you I got to replace mt '06 GT Vert. Not looking to do to much to this one now drove it around the block a couple times but she's next to her Granddaughter for now. I don't think I will do much resto to her.  :)

Offline 64.5 Steve

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Will NOT do any resto to her

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 12:08:08 AM »
Will NOT do any resto to her
Now you have our undivided attention. Welcome to the forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 03:01:37 AM »
Glad you made it here.  Get in on a lift, and take pictures. Lots
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
Nice find!  It's awesome that another 05C transportation services car has been unearthed and it deserves proper care and preservation.  Congratulations on such a nice find and for being it's next caretaker!

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252