Author Topic: 1967 289 chrome oil cap - with AC and T/E CA emissions  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Deuce

1967 289 chrome oil cap - with AC and T/E CA emissions
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »
Found this in a thread from July 2015:

Quote from: 67gtasanjose on July 03, 2015, 07:49:49 AM

I will speak to the choir on MY understanding of the breather caps I have seen having lived in the Thermactor world of So.Calif. for +20 years, late-70's-up, working on countless of many makes and models of the era.

The Push-on OE FoMoCo breather cap with the attached steel hose elbow turned UPWARDS was found on 66-67 SMALL BLOCKS with thermactors. The turn-up was intended to clear the factory Air Conditioner bracket.

All Big Block Apps  that I saw , those which were running the thermactors for 67's (closed crankshaft systems) the OE FoMoCo breather caps were all the push-on's with the straight sideways steel hose attached. The turned up elbow was not needed on FE engines for clearing the bracket like it was needed on the small blocks.

FWIW, in reproduction, NOS or even the used world of parts, I have yet to see an OE or OE style FoMoCo CHROMED version of the push-on breather cap that has the turned up end, I have seen COUNTLESS of the OE or OE style CHROMED with the straight sideways steel nipple attached. Since(to my understanding), 390 Mustangs all came with the chrome dress up kit, then this is the only logically correct breather~ A CHROMED, straight-nipple push-on type.

NOW: 67Shelby??? ~ THAT IS ANOTHER CAN OF WORMS! I'll deffer to the Shelby experts for anything that would be on one of those.

Please see the attached pic; I acquired this chrome oil cap from West Coast Classic Cougars (WCCC - see warehouse tag) for my '67 C-Code Mustang with AC and T/E CA emissions.  It's identical in construction to the car's original black cap with the turned up nipple end.  There is no visible engineering number or part number, other than the FoMoCo block stamping. 

This suggests that chrome caps with the turned up nipple end do exist for '67 289s?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:07:59 PM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1967 289 chrome oil cap - with AC and T/E CA emissions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
Yes, I have since this thread seen these chromed versions. I imagine not the "norm" to find them on DSO 71 or DSO 72 289 cars, except more likely Cougars. Sprint Coupes sold in this region maybe also but I wouldn't think you would often see them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
Found this in a thread from July 2015:

Please see the attached pic; I acquired this chrome oil cap from West Coast Classic Cougars (WCCC - see warehouse tag) for my '67 C-Code Mustang with AC and T/E CA emissions.  It's identical in construction to the car's original black cap with the turned up nipple end.  There is no visible engineering number or part number, other than the FoMoCo block stamping. 

This suggests that chrome caps with the turned up nipple end do exist for '67 289s?
The FOMOCO block letters in a rectangle is more typical of a very late 67 production or common to see on 68 production with the typical straight nipple closed emission caps . I have not studied the caps with the turned up nipple other then on 65-67 Sunbeam Tigers (came with 260 and 289) which also used them.  The caps should logically be the same but I am not 100% sure since not studying the Mustangs that may have come with them. The ones I have seen came with the FOMOCO in script inside the oval. Just what I have seen others may have seen different. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »
The FOMOCO block letters in a rectangle is more typical of a very late 67 production or common to see on 68 production with the typical straight nipple closed emission caps . I have not studied the caps with the turned up nipple other then on 65-67 Sunbeam Tigers (came with 260 and 289) which also used them.  The caps should logically be the same but I am not 100% sure since not studying the Mustangs that may have come with them. The ones I have seen came with the FOMOCO in script inside the oval. Just what I have seen others may have seen different. 

Here's a pic of the cap that had been on the car, '67 C-Code DSO 71 (Dec '66).  Can't say for certain that the cap in this pic was on the car when new, but have no reason to believe otherwise.

Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72