Author Topic: 1967 Shelby/Mustang fastback: Carpet installation on quarter trim. Pictures?  (Read 1775 times)

1967 eight barrel

Does anyone happen to have picture/s of the installation of the small carpet piece on quarter trim? Thank you in advance.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Have a bunch (one  of the things we've recorded over the years since the reproductions are trimmed incorrectly. Unfortunately can't post picture of examples now
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

Keith, there are a few other posts about this, with pictures.  I found one: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8640.0

Also here is a pic that shows the area pretty clearly from 7F02C200xxx (unrestored original owner)
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

1967 eight barrel

I tried to search for information here, as well as looking through the interior threads. What does the bottom edge look like? Is it trimmed to follow the bottom contours of the panel?  The pieces that came with the carpet set are serge bound, and it appears they made them so the serge bound side should be cemented against the lower panel, which clearly isn't correct based on the picture posted. Thank you for the help. If you could post a picture less the floor mat It would solve part of the mystery.   Thanks again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I tried to search for information here, as well as looking through the interior threads. What does the bottom edge look like? Is it trimmed to follow the bottom contours of the panel?  The pieces that came with the carpet set are serge bound, and it appears they made them so the serge bound side should be cemented against the lower panel, which clearly isn't correct based on the picture posted. Thank you for the help. If you could post a picture less the floor mat It would solve part of the mystery.   Thanks again.

Reproduction/replacement carpet from as far back as early 80's included the serged edges around these pieces and this has had its affect on what many believed as being original. Old carpet = original after all these years

This practice appears to have started in 66 production (65 examples have been found with none or two sides only)  The replacement style is neater, more attractive and less likely to become unwoven but not original IMHO and experience. Have one example from one plant that was finished as some found in 65 but only one example so just a mention and not something I would suggest copying until we found others (same plant around the same time)

7R155xxx

7R172xxx

Have been documenting and tracking this detail for about 20 plus years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

Thank you, Jeff. I was floored to search on Google for two hours and find nothing that answered the question. I guess pictures of the footwell aren't commonly taken.