Author Topic: Front suspension paint marks - Feb 66 San Jose  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Morsel

Front suspension paint marks - Feb 66 San Jose
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
Hi all, so I've been searching the forums for any info or picture from the San Jose plant in early 66. My car is a 66 GT K-Code born February 10th. I'm looking for paint markings for a car similar with factory disk brakes. I found this from an earlier post, but it's a 65 K-Code, so there may be some differences.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8723.msg57674#msg57674

Specifically looking for paint marks on springs and spindle arms, also, were the spindle arms painted black in 66 or were the that dark oil natural metal look like the one from the thread from the above link?

My car had all the parts repainted, so no way of knowing what it was originally...

Thanks...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:27:06 PM by J_Speegle »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front suspension paint marks - I know, I searched my question :)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »
................... also, were the spindle arms painted black in 66 or were the that dark oil natural metal look like the one from the thread from the above link?

Easy one first - no the spindle arms nor the rest of the spindle was painted black but instead oil quenched heat treated with machine surfaces so there are a number of different areas that should contrast.

As for the rest

I'm looking for paint markings for a car similar with factory disk brakes.

So what are the details of that car?  Makes all the difference.

Production period, body type, trans, engine, PS?, AC?  GT?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »
-  any info or picture from the San Jose plant in early 66. My car is a 66 GT K-Code born February 10th.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8723.msg57674#msg57674
Coil springs: single sloppy brown stripe - ref, 66 GT K Fastback, San Jose, Oct 65.
Spindle: sloppy pink dab on the inside. As stated, natural forged steel, although I have seen a varnish like "preservative" on non-machined surfaces.
There are pink dabs on other suspension parts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:36:04 AM »
Easy one first - no the spindle arms nor the rest of the spindle was painted black but instead oil quenched heat treated with machine surfaces so there are a number of different areas that should contrast.

As for the rest

The car is an 1966 GT K-Code fastback automatic with a build date of February 10th. Candy Apple Red, black standard interior. No AC, No PS, and it is a Factory GT.

I would love some pictures if anyone has any, that would be extremely helpful

And thanks Jim for your response, some of this is what I assumed...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:11:52 AM »
Front coils could be marked with a solid true red or the muddy brownish red depending on when the car was assembled (for others viewing this tread ;) on 66 K codes at San Jose.  For a Feb 66 car could be either but seeing the start of the red in the 6R150000's

As for posting examples - I'll get a few examples for you out to your email address you registered with on the site. Have found that many will just copy what ever is posted or they see on the internet with little concern of a direct match to their specific car. Then other owners see their car at a show and copy them (thinking that the owner or builder did their research) and migrating and incorrect marks take on a life of their own.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:24:09 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »
The car is an 1966 GT K-Code fastback automatic with a build date of February 10th. Candy Apple Red, black standard interior. No AC, No PS, and it is a Factory GT.

I would love some pictures if anyone has any, that would be extremely helpful

And thanks Jim for your response, some of this is what I assumed...

Would love to see some pictures of your car too!  ;)   Feel free to start a new topic in Member Restoration/Builds.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
Would love to see some pictures of your car too!  ;)   Feel free to start a new topic in Member Restoration/Builds.

Definitely will once I get some more photos and we start building, front end is being fully disassembled right now...

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:17:05 PM »
Why wait for building, we love tear down too!   ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A