Author Topic: '67 intake manifold heater hose fitting removal ('67 289 A code)  (Read 1082 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 intake manifold heater hose fitting removal ('67 289 A code)
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »
I'm wondering what the chances are that the heater hose fitting in the intake manifold can be removed successfully....without breaking off and leaving the threads in place?  I'm only trying to reposition it so the heater hoses can be routed correctly...not sure it's worth the risk of breaking it, as the engine is assembled and in the car presently.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '67 intake manifold heater hose fitting removal ('67 289 A code)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
Since we can't see it - not sure how we can give a accurate response but I vote go for it. If you leave anything in the intake - it is iron and the fitting can be collapsed on itself and removed if something doesn't go as planned.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm only doing this to change the angle of the heater hose attachment....I'll soak it with PB Blaster overnight and give it a try.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »
Since we can't see it - not sure how we can give a accurate response but I vote go for it. If you leave anything in the intake - it is iron and the fitting can be collapsed on itself and removed if something doesn't go as planned.
+1. Done best if bolted to engine. If off of the engine the intake needs to be secured to something that will not move .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »
The engine is installed in the car.  I cut the nipple part off and grinded the sides smooth with the rest of the fitting and then I was able to put an 11/16 socket down over the whole fitting and with a large(24")breaker bar it came out in one piece.  Nice when something works as planned....for a change.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Glad it worked for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)