Author Topic: Do I have the correct AC compressor clutch/pulley  (Read 1912 times)

Offline rickmustang

Do I have the correct AC compressor clutch/pulley
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:03:02 PM »
Attached are a couple of pics of my AC compressor clutch and pulley, which I do not believe are correct. Can someone tell me if they are correct, and if so, where to have them plate. Otherwise, where is the best source for correct ones. I have also attached a pic of the side of the compressor that the clutch/pulley attaches. Thanks. Rick
1970 black R-code 428 4-speed Mach 1
Built in San Jose mid-October 1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Do I have the correct AC compressor clutch/pulley
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
Attached are a couple of pics of my AC compressor clutch and pulley, which I do not believe are correct. Can someone tell me if they are correct, and if so, where to have them plate. Otherwise, where is the best source for correct ones. I have also attached a pic of the side of the compressor that the clutch/pulley attaches. Thanks. Rick
What plant?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
San Jose, Bob. Sept. build. Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
Sorry just familiar with 69/70 A/C components at Dearborn . Earlier year SJ cars used York with that type clutch but not sure about 69/70. I am sure Jeff will be along and have some SJ pictures to use as a reference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »

Just to narrow it down a bit

SJ very early car.   What engine?  Factory installed AC?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
This is a double R-code 428 car built mid-October 69 (per Marti) in San Jose. However, it is not a factory AC car, but I am trying to make it correct. Compressor is dated March 69. All lines are original and marked with part numbers. A dealer owned the car and added AC obviously from an original AC car. The dash components are all dated 1969. I have all the correct 1970 idler pulleys and brackets.

The AC clutches that I have pics of are mounted with 4 small bolts to the compressor. This one just mounts to the keyed compressor shaft and the center bolt. It is obviously painted black. Others I have pics of are plated. Thanks for the help. Rick
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:40:45 AM by rickmustang »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
This is a double R-code 428 car built mid-October 69 (per Marti) in San Jose. However, it is not a factory AC car, but I am trying to make it correct. Compressor is dated March 69. All lines are original and marked with part numbers. A dealer owned the car and added AC obviously from an original AC car. The dash components are all dated 1969. I have all the correct 1970 idler pulleys and brackets.

The AC clutches that I have pics of are mounted with 4 small bolts to the compressor. This one just mounts to the keyed compressor shaft and the center bolt. It is obviously painted black. Others I have pics of are plated. Thanks for the help. Rick
You described the two different types used. Although both types were used with the York aluminum compressor (typically painted black) the one with the brushes mounted with two bolts on the top side is the one I typically see at SJ plant but again I am not sure if that was the case in 69/70. If the brush assembly (switch that activates the clutch)is a Ford unit it will have a Ford engineering number C3,C7,C8 etc.   By taking a wire brush  (if corroded ) you should be able to determine if that part is original to the compressor. The other type that was used consisted of a donut shaped electro magnet (held with four small bolts)  that activated the clutch that fit over it. The donut electro magnut some times had the the engineering number metal stamped into the side sometimes it was ink stamped .  The clutch for the brush type (like you have) was typically painted black and when new had the engineering number printed on a strip of tape label attached to the outside diameter surface. The other type with the electro magnet was plated zinc or cadmium silver for both the electro magnet and the clutch.  Rebuilders typically paint this silver type black when rebuilt. The silver clutch typically had the engineering number ink stamped on to the outside surface of the clutch hub. Just some more info to add to the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:36:58 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
I was noticing in your picture that you have the brush unit that is held on with the two bolts un bolted and set aside. It will ether have Ford engineering numbers stamped or will be blank if it is a replacement. If a replacement I would not sweat that detail but just something for your information..

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
I have a bright, shiny C7 stamped brush assembly, with the part number ink stamped on the long wire. So it sounds like everything is correct. Just need to know if the clutch assemble is painted black or plated, or could be either. It amazes me that the options that were added to this car are all dated correctly for the car. FYI it's a black 4-speed car. I thought it was one of the 13 4-speed AC cars when purchased because everything was dated correctly. A testament for getting a Marti report before purchase. And final FYI, it won the 1995 NMCA national championship. Thanks again for the help Bob. Rick

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
I did not read enough and see you answered my question. Thanks again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »

That really adds a few twists and turns to the issue :)

Dealer installed would have used the kit and in turn the aluminum York pump while generally see the cast iron units used on factory installed AC on big blocks at San Jose
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)