Author Topic: 66 Metuchen Heater and Radiator Hoses  (Read 3739 times)

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 Metuchen Heater and Radiator Hoses
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
That 'P' decal on the cowl is normally only found on Dearborn cars.  NJ used 'PAINT OK' ink stamps with inspector name or number sequence below.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:32 AM »
Just to throw some uncertainty into the topic of radiator hose clamps.

for many years know I have been collecting knowledge, information and unrestored NJ 66 cars.

I have 2 cars that originally have the wire style clamps on radiator hoses. both have the wire clamps on engine side not radiator side...
also both lower radiator hoses seem to be original.

one car is door tagged; 03B and buck tagged B4
second car is door tagged;  01C and buck tagged B24

I am also restoring a separate NJ car with a early January 1966 build date and I intend to instal the wire type clamps on that car as well.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:37:39 AM by outlawincorporated »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
I have also seen and worked on 1966 NJ cars that had wire clamps on the radiator hoses. These cars weren't all built alike. I'd bet that suppliers made huge differences in the parts some cars received.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
I have 2 cars that originally have the wire style clamps on radiator hoses. both have the wire clamps on engine side not radiator side...
also both lower radiator hoses seem to be original.

Phil - are the markings still visible on those hoses. Guessing that they are not marked "Pat Pending" The half and half finding would indicate the order of installation at certain stations

.........I'd bet that suppliers made huge differences in the parts some cars received.

Each supplier made 10's of thousands of a particular part that should have all looked identical and as we understand from the managers certain suppliers supplied specific plants leading to the trends we see in original/unrestored cars. There are those periods when there was supply issues and another (not the typical) supplier would be used until the issue was resolved but even then a rail car full of supplier X's parts would produce another trend that would produce a bunch of cars all built the same again :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:27:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
So it does appear that wire clamps were used in 2nd half production at all 3 plants. I did notice on Marti's site that they do sell the correct repo Rad hoses. He also sells the white and the white/yellow heater hoses.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
So it does appear that wire clamps were used in 2nd half production at all 3 plants........

I guess the question for us is when were they first used, in what configuration and with what hoses.   ;)

Would need to start another thread to address the Dearborn V8 cars and the earliest group of cars found with the change built there. My earliest was in July 66 I believe
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 01:46:25 AM »
Phil - are the markings still visible on those hoses. Guessing that they are not marked "Pat Pending" The half and half finding would indicate the order of installation at certain stations

JEFF. no visible markings on either of the lower hoses on my 66 NJ cars.  the upper radiator hoses have definitely been replaced some time over the cars life. that's what trigged my interest seeing the wire type on one end and a reproduction style on radiator side.....

Don't think it had anything to do with "installation at certain stations" just general replacement over the cars life

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 03:22:50 AM »

JEFF. no visible markings on either of the lower hoses on my 66 NJ cars.  the upper radiator hoses have definitely been replaced some time over the cars life. that's what trigged my interest seeing the wire type on one end and a reproduction style on radiator side.....

Don't think it had anything to do with "installation at certain stations" just general replacement over the cars life

Sorry misunderstood. Thought you were describing wire at the engine end of each of the radiator hose and tower at the radiator end
Jeff Speegle