Author Topic: Correcting Sins during assembly and convert top  (Read 830 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Correcting Sins during assembly and convert top
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »
Its been a long time since visiting but I've put other projects aside and trying to fix some sins on the 68 vert committed during its restoration. Due to a sticking door latch i got stuck inside the car. So after removing the door panel and other bits i found the triggering device. Half a can of PB blaster and now some grease puts that to rest. But i never liked the way the door glass and rear quarter window lined up so began adjusting. Needless to say i found a bad drivers door regulator was part of the problem. Disovered this when i noticed the pass side glass was firmly set but drivers glass rocked back and forth. New regulator installed but still the alignment between the pieces of glass wasn't working until i stepped back and actually got inside the car. Its not the fault of the door, glass or installer. I found that the convertible top side rails sag slightly.

If I unlatch the top, roll the window completely up all my glass lines up and the glass tucks up into the pocket of the gasket. The slight sag causes the roof rail gasket to prevent the door from shutting correctly if the glass is in the up position. The top frame was completely restored by me piece by piece and reassembled. I'm trying to remember if there is any sort of adjustment that can be made to  put some tension into the side rail to prevent the sag. There are no issues with bushings at the hinge. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Oz390

Re: Correcting Sins during assembly and convert top
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
If I  read you right the balance link camber adjustment should help. 

Loosen the big hex nut at the top of the link ("S" shaped piece at the rear of the upper frame).  Use an allen wrench (I forget the size) and turn the eccentric to adjust the camber of the side rails.  Hold the wrench, re-tighten the nut. 

Should be good to go.

HTH
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Oz390

Re: Correcting Sins during assembly and convert top
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
One more thing... on the correct 67/68 style hinges (lighter "U shaped" ones not the earlier big cast "lumps") there is a adjustment screw on the inside of the hinge faces (there is a similar screw on the '66/'67 version of the cast hinge, but not the two earlier versions). 

If too far out it can force the hinge open and work against the eccentric.  Hard to get too and an odd adjuster, but something to be aware of.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute