Author Topic: Rear Wheel Cylinders ?Original?  (Read 961 times)

Offline dlevy

Rear Wheel Cylinders ?Original?
« on: December 25, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to determine if rear brake wheel cylinders are original or repro?  Pictures of my takeouts are attached.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Rear Wheel Cylinders ?Original?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
The small bleeders are encouraging but I think these are missing the casting numbers on them to indicate they are "original" FoMoCo.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline dlevy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 02:32:41 AM »
Thanks.

Would you happen to have a picture of what the casting numbers should look like?

Dave

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Thanks.

Would you happen to have a picture of what the casting numbers should look like?

Dave

I plan to work over my rear axle very soon and as much as I am aware, I still have the original wheel cylinders still in place (owned it since '78 and never changed under my watch)

I'll save this thread asside to try and remember to check them for markings.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
remember ford always had more than 1 vendor so id markings can be different  & I think your cyl are original & if you look close you will see color codes usually 2 color dots depending on the size of the cyl & what backing plate & brake shoe size etc.

Offline dlevy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
Thanks.

I saw what looks like a red dot on the one cylinder. There could possibly be a second red dot as well but hard to make out. My drums are 10" inside diameter. Would that make sense for originals?

Thanks,
Dave