Author Topic: 68 Rear Side Marker Change-over Date/Time Period  (Read 1788 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
68 Rear Side Marker Change-over Date/Time Period
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
Has this been discussed or documented earlier on the site?

Did a little searching and couldn't find it but realize that isn't always perfect. 

Did a little homework for another thread and rather than post my findings there (lost in the middle of another subject, thought it would be more useful for others having its own home.

First - and example of each style. Recessed on the left and on the right the bolt on/surface mounted marker

What I found today in my stuff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
68 San Jose built Mustangs.

Latest actual build date of a car with recessed rear marker lights I could find was completed on Feb 15, 1968.
Since the quarter panels were some of the first panels to be attached to the unibody the start or buck date was Feb 13th on this example.

Earliest (by VIN) San Jose Mustang with the bolt on style 8R14252x (have two in the 8R142xxx range)
Highest (by VIN) San Jose Mustang with recessed style 8R14816x

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Will look at the other two plants and what I have to offer for those. Unfortunately have allot more Marti reports for San Jose 68 since they include allot of California Specials but NJ plant will benefit from all the 68 Shelby Marti reports that are  available to help those out

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:03:38 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

Re: 68 Rear Side Marker Change-over Date/Time Period
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
Email sent with NJ info....
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »
Looked at NJ built 68's and found the following in my collection Both Marti reports are difficult to read)

Latest car with recessed rear quarter marker lights - 8T178852x   -  Actual build date of Feb 28, - 1968 Build start of Feb 26th it looks like

Earliest surface mount rear quarter marker lights - 8T17955x  -  Actual build date of March 5th, 1968 - 1968 Build start of Feb 28th it looks like

Again both Marti report scans are grainy so can't be 100% sure of the exact dates but think we've possibly identified the week it took place at NJ

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Highest VIN with recessed rear marker lights in my collection 8T18173x

Lowest VIN with surface mount rear marker lights in my collection 8T173056

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:03:52 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:28:54 AM »
Going to throw you a curve...I think you will find you also need to consider each of the bodystyles. Different quarters had different change date based on supply.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:16:49 AM »
Going to throw you a curve...I think you will find you also need to consider each of the bodystyles. Different quarters had different change date based on supply.

Point taken - would expect that the dates will be similar since the number of quarter panels would be supplied to each plant based on the expected differences (in percentages) as they would produce.

Believe at least for the NJ examples most of the key dates came from one body style. So will collect some more and report back. From there other members may choose to report if they have a car in the range or gap
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »
This is the only car that we have that falls close to that time frame.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
To add to Pete's reply on NJ cars the fastbacks changed before the convertibles. Earliest fastback date I have is 2/18, convertible 2/23

Obviously you know why I only chart NJ fastbacks/verts
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America