Author Topic: 289 CID overheating problem  (Read 2927 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: 289 CID overheating problem
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »
My original concern was weather or not the Mr Gasket t-stat would fit, since all the online parts businesses (NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc) did not go back to 1965. 
Some additional information for 66 and older Mustangs, for unknown reasons most car parts stores' computers cover 1967 and newer, so if you need something for a 65 or 66 engine ask for a 67 non smog. This applies to I-6 and V-8 engines. There are exceptions, like the water pump on 65 V-8 engines is aluminum, but plugs, points, filters (all oil, most fuel), thermostats, etc, are the same.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
I put a 3 row radiator on my '64 1/2 way back when (probably when it was still in FL) because the radiator took a rock or something and needed to be replaced.  It ran cooler after that, and it's a simple fix.  Not a bad idea in SoCal if you need to replace it at some point.

Offline tvor

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
Jim,
I was pretty sure the intake manifold and engine block was the same throughout the 289 and early 302 blocks, but I wasn't going to put any big wager on it  ;D.  You pretty much confirmed my suspicions.  Thanks!

Hawkeyes,
that idea did cross my mind.  It was going to be one of the last things to do due to expense (and my 2-core is in really god shape) and I'm trying to stay as original to factory as possible.  I'm assuming that the 3 core was on cars with A/C?  I'm pretty sure mine came with the lowly 2-core

Thanks again,
Kelley
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!