Author Topic: Advice on Installing Scott Drake Aluminum Dash Trim, '67 A/C vent  (Read 1189 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to install reproduction aluminum/deluxe trim on a '67 A/C vent?  This is for the vent that's near the passenger's side kick panel on a factory A/C car.  The Scott Drake kit I bought just came with a flat sheet of aluminum trim for this piece.  The aluminum is attached to a fairly thick piece of metal, and I'm having trouble bending it to match the contours of the A/C vent.  These A/C vents were originally off of a standard interior car, so they had the black textured inserts.  Those inserts were nowhere near as thick as the aluminum pieces I'm trying to install. 

I've already got the overall shape somewhat close in the pictures below, but I'm afraid to bend it much more because of possibly distorting the thin aluminum.  I can get one area to fit, but it throws another area off.

Does anyone have any advice on installing this piece?  I figured I wasn't the first to run up against this. 

Too much junk, too little time.

Online ruppstang

Re: Advice on Installing Scott Drake Aluminum Dash Trim, '67 A/C vent
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »
The Burton kit I use the part was pre bent but still required a little fitting. I would bend it over a dowel to keep a consistent radius. Go very slowly checking your progress on the grill.
Good luck.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks, Marty.  I still have a good ways to go with this, since it was just a flat sheet of metal.  Any suggestions on what I should use to glue it in place?  These don't come with any kind of adhesive or glue on the back.
Too much junk, too little time.

Online ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:52:03 PM »
I think the Burton kit provided Krazy Glue. I have used clear silicone and clamped with soft clamps over night with success.
Marty

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:18:14 AM »
Burton supplies Ducco cement.  The factory used yellow contact cement. I used the 3M product that comes in quart cans. More commonly used on formica countertops. Coat both pieces, let it tack up and work it down. You can use wax paper between them and move it out of the way as you form it to the part.