Author Topic: 67 S code 9" rear end /Axle Identification  (Read 4699 times)

Offline brennancarey

67 S code 9" rear end /Axle Identification
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:53:42 AM »
Hi

I am needing to find the correct rear end for my S Code 67 Mustang.
Info I have from Marti report is my car had a 3.25 Traction Lock 9".
So in order to track this down I need to know what i need to be looking for?
casting numbers? Width, number of spines ? 28/ 31 etc.

many help and advise is appreciated, search and google not helping me much either.

Rgds
Brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 S code 9" rear end /Axle Identification
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »
WES-G should be the tag info (from mustangtek) and says it should be a 28 spline axle. Casting & assembly  dates ought to be verified to get you closer to a few weeks ahead of your build date.

You could also order a reproduction tag from Marti Auto Works using your vin. Finding EVERYTHING dated correctly including an original tag could prove to be a bit closer to impossible. Another option other than looking or trying to hunt down an original, dated correct axle assembly could include purchasing a 9 inch carrier case dated correctly and installing a new gear set (a little more difficult to see when assembled) as well as bearings and locker unit which can all be a bit easier to disguise once inside. I'm not trying to lead you, just trying to assist you in an idea to get the "function portion" of the task accomplished (though not fully concours) in a way  that could be undetectable from any usual judging standpoint.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
Early or late 1967?

Early 1967 used a large fill plug in the housing. By the end of 1967 no fill plug in housing, only in third member.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
Early or late 1967?

Early 1967 used a large fill plug in the housing. By the end of 1967 no fill plug in housing, only in third member.

His signature suggests that it was a Dec built car. Believe that was  (was at San Jose so I would need to double check Dearborn) style with the large filler plug at the rear as you describe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
WES-G should be the tag info (from mustangtek) and says it should be a 28 spline axle. Casting & assembly  dates ought to be verified to get you closer to a few weeks ahead of your build date.

You could also order a reproduction tag from Marti Auto Works using your vin. Finding EVERYTHING dated correctly including an original tag could prove to be a bit closer to impossible. Another option other than looking or trying to hunt down an original, dated correct axle assembly could include purchasing a 9 inch carrier case dated correctly and installing a new gear set (a little more difficult to see when assembled) as well as bearings and locker unit which can all be a bit easier to disguise once inside. I'm not trying to lead you, just trying to assist you in an idea to get the "function portion" of the task accomplished (though not fully concours) in a way  that could be undetectable from any usual judging standpoint.

Some good ideas there I have not considered !

I think that hunting down a carrier case would be a good option. I wonder what the date range would need to be based on my car been a Dec 66 built Dearborn car ? Also would the casting number need to be C7AW-E ?

Yes Early 67 Dearborn car so can I cfm I need a large fill plug in the housing ?

Thks
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »
I think that hunting down a carrier case would be a good option. I wonder what the date range would need to be based on my car been a Dec 66 built Dearborn car ?

Would look for something about 6 to 3 months prior to the real build date looking at other examples. Remember that for the pinion retainer (dated also) ;)

Yes Early 67 Dearborn car so can I cfm I need a large fill plug in the housing ?

Yes place a wanted ad everywhere you can. Need a big net to find date coded items at times - other times you just get lucky
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:06:44 AM »
Would look for something about 6 to 3 months prior to the real build date looking at other examples. Remember that for the pinion retainer (dated also) ;)

Yes place a wanted ad everywhere you can. Need a big net to find date coded items at times - other times you just get lucky

Thanks Jeff for advice on the dates I need to be looking out for. Also a dated pinion retainer !

Rgds
brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
I believe some of the '67s had a "small" drain plug in the back of the housing -- what is the story on those? What time frame did Ford install those and what cars had them? Were the small drain plug housings all 9"?  What would determine that one car came with the large drain plug housing and another came with the small drain plug housing?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
I believe some of the '67s had a "small" drain plug in the back of the housing -- what is the story on those? What time frame did Ford install those and what cars had them? Were the small drain plug housings all 9"?  What would determine that one car came with the large drain plug housing and another came with the small drain plug housing?

I guess your referring to the size of the head on the filler not the size of the hole in the housing

That drain plug isn't a Ford factory one. Original one was likely stripped or lost then replaced by something from the parts or hardware store

Markings on the head appear to include the size of the threads  :o
Jeff Speegle

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Thanks Jeff! So I just need to find the Ford "large" plug to go into this housing? Would this housing be correct for the Shelbys and other cars getting the 9" rear early in 1967?

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
A picture of the "large" plug.

Is the large plug reproduced? Or is there a source to buy a used one?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:49:25 PM by 3 Pedals »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »
A picture of the "large" plug.

Is the large plug reproduced? Or is there a source to buy a used one?
I have one out of a 67 that has the "L" makers mark. PM me if you can't find one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
I have one out of a 67 that has the "L" makers mark. PM me if you can't find one.

Bob, I am thinking if I cant find a casing with the large fill plug I can always add one I guess.. What would the thread and size be of that large plug. I would be interested in the L bolt if you still have?
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66