Author Topic: 1965 Base 200 3 speed built 12/15/1964 under hood information  (Read 1078 times)

Offline cobrall646464

Hello all, new to the Forum.  Long story short, a simple engine rebuild turned into a nightmare.   After the engine was rebuilt the costumer decided he wanted the transmission rebuilt.  Finally found the needed gears and got it done, no prob.  He then decided he wanted all correct parts and numbers under the hood.  I understood he was wanting to run in the concours division.   Found everything through  National Parts Depot.  Engine bay had been repainted when he had the body and interior done.  Joined MCA to get the rules.  Car is not concours worthy so he will now run in the occasionally driven class.   He still wants everything correct under the hood.  I've searched and searched and searched and am coming up with nothing or conflicting information.  Through MCA I've found out what parts are supposed to be "natural.  Those rules do not say what "natural" is for each part.  (would I be better re plating everything or simply cleaning and matt clear coating?   They also don't specify anything about the nuts and bolts under the hood and on the engine.  (searched this forum also, didn't come up with what I need).  What I need to know is all the information for under the hood.  Some sights say the engine should be black, some gloss black, some semi gloss black, what bolts and nuts are supposed to be painted or natural.   Need info on nuts and bolts on the firewall, inner fenders, and radiator support.  I've seen where the hinges are supposed to be natural but others say early 65's had black.   Need a reliable list of accurate decal locations.  Also need to know where all there is supposed to be sound deadner or undercoat on the firewall.  (it has small amounts around all holes in the firewall but none coming up from underneath).  Info on vehicle------body-65a  color-x,  trim-D9, Date-15m, DSO-91, axle-3, trans-1, warranty number-5F07T372855,   (I've already decoded, simply including to save time in the thread)  plant was Dearborn.    ANY help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.     (wasn't sure if this should go here or under judging)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 1965 Base 200 3 speed built 12/15/1964 under hood information
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:28:21 AM »
Good news: most, if not all, of the information you're looking for can be found here on CMF.

Bad news: you're going to have to spend some time to get it. You're asking for a TON of information, and it would be a huge effort for many members to repeat what they've already posted. Start by using the search tool to look up each individual topic. Read all of the relevant articles in the Library section. This is going to take you (the car owner really should help too) many hours or days to go through and digest it all. And once you've gotten the bulk of it, folks here are happy to answer questions on the remaining details.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:50:23 AM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your endeavours

There is a difference you will likely find between what is original/factory and what currently gets by for judging depending on the organization, sometimes the class and the specific judges. This difference  (we focus less on the rules and more on historical facts and findings)  should be noticeable as you read through the post of others.

There are treads related to the original finishes and even how to do that coating/plating yourself along with choosing to fake paint the piece or plate like original.

And yes MCA has used "natural" describe any finish that is not paint - been doing that for decades.  Lots and lots of early year guys here that will be able to provide some insight and guidance.

Can't remember all of the posts made here on the site but that is what the search feature is for ;)

We have done them on some of the under hood hardware, finishes and head markings for many of the early years and plants. There are underhood decal threads but can't recall if mid 65 Dearborn 6 cylinder has been covers specifically. Things like V8 threads may provide some details that are the same but if it hasn't been asked just start a new one.

Continue to include the cars specific details, post individual theads for each of your needs - keeps down the confusion and makes for a more focused thread for others to find and use later for their purposes

Again welcome to the site - as said above you've got some catching up to do. Enjoy
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »
here is a link to another site that may help.     https://forum.mustang6association.org/index.php
5F09C331248