Author Topic: 1965 Wiring Oddity  (Read 1398 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
1965 Wiring Oddity
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »
Another oddity to add to my knowledge base...don't quite know if this was deliberate or a manufacturing error.

On all 1965 underdash harnesses (both early - 2 speed heater and late - 3 speed heater), there are four bullet connectors near the engine gauge feed firewall plug.  These are: black/blue (courtesy lights), green/yellow(fused hot), blue/red (PRNDL lamp feed), and the interconnection bullets for the neutral safety switch (red/blue).

On an early version, I ran across a harness without the green/yellow wiring.  The rest of the circuit is intact, and no wires were cut.  Together with the black/blue and blue/red, these are the feeds for the console and PRNDL shifter lamp system.  There's no other purpose for the black/blue plug other than the console that I am aware of, so I don't know why the green/yellow line was deleted. 

This is the first example out of 27 refurbished 1965 harnesses I've done.  I have probably cannibalized another 25 or so, but really don't pay attention to that detail when harvesting parts.  I probably have another 25 or so I have yet to examine.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1965 Wiring Oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:12:31 AM »
There's no other purpose for the black/blue plug other than the console that I am aware of, so I don't know why the green/yellow line was deleted. 
The green/yellow is the circuit that provides hot to be switched, like the glove box light and the console door light mounted on top on later consoles. Early consoles had one power feed, the two doors activated courtesy lights under the dash, and the light mounted on the rear (front) panel.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
Aha!  Any idea when the console design changed?  It must have been before March 65 when the heater changed.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »
Aha!  Any idea when the console design changed?  It must have been before March 65 when the heater changed.

Yes believe it was before that - Wish I had written down all those details back when I was buying as selling allot of those things in the 80's

I would walk into Mustangs shops and they were always happy to sell me boxes and boxes of consoles bodies and parts. They never had time to freshen/restore and reassemble them. Think my largest load was 60 from one shop.

Would have been good for details - unfortunately it really would not help since by the time I got them no VINs for each would be attached to each one :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)