Author Topic: 1970 rear brake hose brass fittings  (Read 2257 times)

Offline 67gta289

1970 rear brake hose brass fittings
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »
In the late 80's I picked up a 9" staggered shock 3.25 traction lock rear end from a junk yard.  The axle is long gone, but I do have the brake lines.

Is the D0ZA-2A4488 hose assembly worth anything with the hose being cut?  How about the protective sleeve - is that sleeve included with current reproductions?

To me it looks like the steel lines are not original because there are no "springs" around any of the bends.  Plus, between each steel line and the hose assembly there are brass fittings.  Are these original, or something added when the brake lines were replaced?

Wheel cylinders look like aftermarket replacements, correct?

Thanks for the help analyzing this.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 rear brake hose brass fittings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
In the late 80's I picked up a 9" staggered shock 3.25 traction lock rear end from a junk yard.  The axle is long gone, but I do have the brake lines.

Any idea of what kind of car it was out of?

Is the D0ZA-2A4488 hose assembly worth anything with the hose being cut?  How about the protective sleeve - is that sleeve included with current reproductions?

Don't see those sleeves on 70 Mustang applications

To me it looks like the steel lines are not original because there are no "springs" around any of the bends.  Plus, between each steel line and the hose assembly there are brass fittings.  Are these original, or something added when the brake lines were replaced?

For a 70 Mustang application believe they would be incorrect. Notice that in the picture you can see just a little of the wrap spring. Was on both the drivers and passenger rear brake lines on the 9" applications

Wheel cylinders look like aftermarket replacements, correct?

Wagners - aftermarket
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
Jeff I don't remember ever seeing a 70 -71 & up rear brake hose WITHOUT the sleeve 70 hose started out with the rubber sleeve with moulded in rings then went to the hard plastic rings to protect hose from exhaust rubbing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
Jeff I don't remember ever seeing a 70 -71 & up rear brake hose WITHOUT the sleeve 70 hose started out with the rubber sleeve with moulded in rings then went to the hard plastic rings to protect hose from exhaust rubbing.

Will post a few and we can discuss. But that is what I found on a quick search of cars - will look again. Some of the examples I pulled up quickly included cars you know - at least beleive you've seen including that Boss I looked at for you for Tony

Believe I've got 71 with
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
Any idea of what car?

Yes it was a 1970 Mach 1 with 351C and four speed.  This was pulled in 1988.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »
jeff unless its a early 70 thing or single exhaust hoes as I got 12 70 hoses here with the sleeves

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:11 AM »
jeff unless its a early 70 thing or single exhaust hoes as I got 12 70 hoses here with the sleeves

Don't know for sure - much more your area of study than mine. Just grabbed a quick scan of some handy and mostly untouched pictures to get the first response but I'll do a complete search and we can discuss where I went wrong at that point    :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »
jeff your hose pic is a 70 & don't have the sleeve on it & has ca evap. on it so if its from your area  aSJ  built 70   & now I wonder if its a vendor thing or very early built car or the sleeve simply never made it on the hose when assembled.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »
jeff your hose pic is a 70 & don't have the sleeve on it & has ca evap. on it so if its from your area  aSJ  built 70   & now I wonder if its a vendor thing or very early built car or the sleeve simply never made it on the hose when assembled.

Understand and appreciate (like many of us) the search and open mindedness of the possibility of something new or different being found.

With that said looked through 5000 pictures and found that in my haste to answer the question it was my luck that I picked two Boss 302' from different plants (though both mid year cars) that had single crimp rear brake lines with no insulator. Just my luck   :( But thanks for setting me straight and assuring that that OP got the right info. Also gives me an opportunity to make a public mistake and correct it - been waiting for one ;)

As for the picture I posted was from the Boss 302 you asked me to look at for Tony out here.

Looking at the pictures I have it was interesting to see all the various locations of the insulator on the flex line

Thanks again
Jeff Speegle