Author Topic: Door quarter vent window question  (Read 3435 times)

Offline qman

Door quarter vent window question
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
On 67-68 mustang quarter vent windows on the outside edge, near the base, you find a thin, flat strip of rubber about 3/8 of an inch wide.  My question is....how is this strip of rubber attached?  On the original I see no evidence of a glue to hold this in place.  As always all your help is appreciated.  Quentin

Offline sparky65

Re: Door quarter vent window question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
If I understand your question correctly.  There are three elongated holes that the strip clipped into and one screw close to the door edge.  If i find pictures ill post them.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline qman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »
On the 1/4 vent window frames there are no holes and the reproduction rubber piece has no directions.  I think the purpose of the rubber strip is to keep water (or in my case snow, we're having a snow storm this evening) from going down to the inside of the door.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
Sorry I thought you were talking about the rear 1/4 window.  I don't recall having a seal there but maybe mine was missing.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
Not sure if the originals were "peel and stick" (sure would have been easy that way) but believe that gluing them is the way. Since the chrome is very smooth there may be no residue  left but would expect to see a difference between where the seal was

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline qman

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the help...glue it is. Q.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
The weatherstrip you describe for the vent windows was originally cloth backed rubber. The reproduction version of this is just rubber. I suspect the weatherstrip was pre-glued in a "peel-n-stick" fashion as I have never found excess glue where this piece of weatherstrip was installed.

The best method I have found to install the reproduction piece is to use the yellow weatherstrip adhesive...bead on the weatherstrip, bead on the vent window, and press together.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Murf

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:46:12 PM »
Anyone have a picture of one of these rubber strips still glued to the vent window frame?  The location of that strip drives me crazy!  How far below the top edge of the door is it mounted when properly done.  Can it be seen when installed correctly?  How did it appear when looking at the junction of the vent window frame and the door when these cars left the assembly plant?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
Sorry, no pictures although I just did a set of vent windows for a driver resto that I am doing.

If you look at your vent window frame, you will see a flat area on the outside of the frame that is approximately 1/4" wide and goes the horizontal length of the frame. That is where this piece of weatherstrip goes and it covers the full length of the flat area.

Once installed, you really do not see the weatherstrip as that part of the vent window frame is below the top of the door. As the vent window frame is adjustable to fit the door glass contour and door frame weatherstrip, the actual location how far into the door slightly varies. Still, the piece of weatherstrip really is not seen once the vent window is properly installed in the door.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline slim

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
Just redid both sides on my 68 vert last spring. That little rubber strip is below the door sill...not visible. I thought mine was original but the original rubber had no cloth backing.
I found nice original chrome vents (not show quality) so don't ask where to get perfect or plating.
68 Mustang vert. 289 2V, automatic, power disc brakes, power steering, factory AC.
Lime gold, black top with glass window. Standard black interior.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 08:59:41 AM »
Yes an old thread but I have some pictures to add which should help someone down the road.  The factory rubber is not flat- refer to the sketch. I can confirm very light glue residue and cloth backed rubber.  I will be reusing original parts. I looked in the NPD catalog but could not find the part.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660