Author Topic: Help identifying "this"  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Josep

Help identifying "this"
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
Hi all,

I would like to know how this valve? is called.
Also, think the routing of the lines are, one to transmission and the other one to anti-backfire valve (red arrows) in Thermactor systems. But where is the yellow one going to.?

Thanks,

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline jwc66k

Re: Help identifying "this"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
Josep,
It's not a valve, it's a vacuum "T". One tube goes to the power brakes, and one to the automatic transmission. A cap covers unused ports.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Josep

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
Josep,
It's not a valve, it's a vacuum "T". One tube goes to the power brakes, and one to the automatic transmission. A cap covers unused ports.
Jim

OK Jim, vacuum T, thanks.
The unsused port is the one used to connect the anti-backfire valve. Right on the one going to transmission. So, the one with the stuck in the piece of rubber goes to power brakes.? You mean disc brakes.? My car has front disc brakes.

Ps: Checked the word brake booster/power brakes, no, my car hasn't got that, so that's the reason the outlet is cancelled.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:59:56 PM by Josep »
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:27:39 PM »
Josep,
Your car should not have factory front disc brakes as it is a 200 I-6. In your picture, the metal tube on the left from the "T" that transitions to a rubber hose, is usually the one for power front drum brakes. (I can see the mounting bracket for the smog valve in the background.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
Hi all,

I would like to know how this valve? is called.
Also, think the routing of the lines are, one to transmission and the other one to anti-backfire valve (red arrows) in Thermactor systems. But where is the yellow one going to.?

Got to ask - isn't that picture from a V8 application? Connections and purposes would differ between a V8 and what your building. Also remember not all nipples were used on every car. The vacuum block on a T code looks similar and may be the same. Connects below the carb with the large screw in fitting facing the front of the car and engine The rear most nipple attaches to back fire valve on a Thermactor manual transmission (One on the far right in the V8 application). Threaded fitting attachment in that application has a plug in it

Manual Transmission T code with Thermactor

On a T code with automatic (with and without Thermactor) the threaded hole in the fitting is used to attach a long specifically bent tube that narrows at the end to provide the vacuum to the automatic transmission and shown in the picture below. If the car was a Power Brake automatic T code then the long steel tube was attached to the power brake unit then a plastic fitting and check valve  on the front of the booster connected  that connection to the thin automatic line positioned at the top of the bell housing

Automatic Transmission T code  with Thermactor

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:34:50 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Josep

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:14:46 AM »
Josep,
Your car should not have factory front disc brakes as it is a 200 I-6. In your picture, the metal tube on the left from the "T" that transitions to a rubber hose, is usually the one for power front drum brakes. (I can see the mounting bracket for the smog valve in the background.)
Jim
No Jim, that was probably an upgrade made by a PO. Disc brakes was only optional to V8s in 66.

Josep

Offline Josep

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:43 AM »
Got to ask - isn't that picture from a V8 application?
It is Jeff, I was just showing this pic because it looked the same as the one that has my car

Connections and purposes would differ between a V8 and what your building. Also remember not all nipples were used on every car. The vacuum block on a T code looks similar and may be the same. Connects below the carb with the large screw in fitting facing the front of the car and engine The rear most nipple attaches to back fire valve on a Thermactor manual transmission (One on the far right in the V8 application). Threaded fitting attachment in that application has a plug in it

On a T code with automatic (with and without Thermactor) the threaded hole in the fitting is used to attach a long specifically bent tube that narrows at the end to provide the vacuum to the automatic transmission and shown in the picture below.
So, for what you say, and being my car automatic, looks like this is swapped in my setup. The threaded hole in the fitting should go to the transmission and not to be stuck by a bold. Now, from the explanations above, the rear most nipple should connect to the backfire valve, in Manual trans, also the same for auto..?
Yellow arrow my setup
Red arrows, if I have understood, the way to be

If the car was a Power Brake automatic T code then the long steel tube was attached to the power brake unit then a plastic fitting and check valve  on the front of the booster connected  that connection to the thin automatic line positioned at the top of the bell housing

Automatic Transmission T code  with Thermactor

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:58:43 AM by Josep »