Author Topic: 66 - Package tray  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Josep

Re: 66 - Package tray
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
Best choice?  Its about the only choice. The other option would be pages from the MPC. Like anything in writting you want to double check all the details since we know that each page in the manual was published to correct something that was changed or a mistake on the prior version of that page. Each page has revision dates. Also we don't know if Ford didn't publish another page to replace the one we have access to the next day, week or month.  Only IMHO by cross refrencing the documents and unrestored cars like yours from the same plant and time period can you make the best choice. Of course if your car was a low mileage, untouched car to begin with that would be the best choice
I didn’t know if there were any other choices out there.! OK, that’s the only publication, I’ll get one.

Most of the Masonite today comes in metric thicknesses. I think the original was 1/8" thick but that is a guess - don't recall ever measuring an original
I have found the real thing here, 3mm thick, that is close enough to 1/8”, the bad news is they only sell in 122 x 61 cm pieces, and I believe the tray measures 53” that is around 134cm.. will check another hardware store and see..

Josep
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:22:19 AM by Josep »
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
...Richard, it is not another dialect, it’s just a matter of having another language as mother language rather than English.
Josep

I understood you were from overseas and at times, some of us can forget that when thoughts get translated, even when the person is otherwise fluent in a language, "dialect" can play a part in misunderstandings...(which is why I pointed it out in case there was any misunderstanding by ANY reader or writer or comments).

I could have used the word "dialect" incorrectly or perhaps there is another word that could have better described what seemed like a misunderstanding at first.

DIALECT (NOUN)
a particular form of a language which is peculiar to a specific region or social group.
"this novel is written in the dialect of Trinidad"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Josep

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
Not a problem Rich.! All fine here.
My apologizes for the confusion.!
Thanks for the point, I’ll keep learning.!

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline jwc66k

Re: Package tray
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
Don't recall ever finding nor could I find any pictures in my collection of cars with the remains or signs of any prior adhesive being applied to the painted metal surface of the package tray.  Other adhesives we find usually leave something behind such as other interior applications or int he trunk
Think this may be a detail in the manual that was not done at the plant, at least San Jose or only for a very short production period.
The "sticky" was for the sound absorber material. Is it possible the sound absorber was attached to the package tray underside before tray installation? That step would have been done separately prior to the tray's installation, an assembly line "time saving" step.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Package tray
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
The "sticky" was for the sound absorber material. Is it possible the sound absorber was attached to the package tray underside before tray installation? That step would have been done separately prior to the tray's installation, an assembly line "time saving" step.
Jim

Seeing that the material was pretty light and flimsy that would make sense. Need to keep an eye open for the next original one I see to see if there is any reminisces of an adhesive
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Josep

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Do they used primer before painting the tray.? Or do they painted the tray directly.? Thanks.

Josep

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
Do they used primer before painting the tray.? Or do they painted the tray directly.? Thanks.

Originally I don't think Ford had them primer first but many owners do. Most often with a wood primer rather than an auto body primer that would change the color dramatically
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 04:00:04 PM »
The package tray is made from paper and wood called fiberboard. Typically wood does not need primer, but may require more than one coat as it is absorbent.

Originally I don't think Ford had them primer first but many owners do. Most often with a wood primer rather than an auto body primer that would change the color dramatically
To avoid a dramatic color change, select a primer that sort of matches your final color: red primer for red paint; light gray for light color paints - white, light blue, light green; dark gray for dark colors - dark blue; black for black. Real good painters will select primers to enhance the final color. That selection comes from experience. (I manage screw paint up a lot with the wrong primer.)
Jim
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.