Author Topic: 1965 Fastback Trunk Lid Torsion Bar  (Read 6258 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
1965 Fastback Trunk Lid Torsion Bar
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:23:35 PM »
I have a 1965 Dearborn built Fastback with an approximate build date of September 2, 1964.  I'm having a problem where I install the trunk lid torsion bar with the original retaining clip and the retaining clip pops off unleashing the torsion bar from the hinge.  Could the original retaining clip be tired?  I don't know.  I'd like to keep the installation as it was from the factory but the retaining clip is not reproduced.  I searched the forum and came up with mixed results.  People have implemented various solutions that worked such as putting treads on the end of the torsion rod and installing 2 bolts, getting 2 non-concours retaining clips from the auto parts store and doubling them up and even drilling a small hole in the end of the torsion rod and installing a washer with a cotter pin (Maybe a dealer fix?).  Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem and keep it as close to factory as possible?  Here's a couple of pictures.  Not the best but better than nothing.  The white stuff on the end of the torsion rod is grease.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:43:55 PM by markb0729 »
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1965 Fastback Trunk Lid Torsion Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »
The factory installed the trunk lid first and then the rod, all before paint. The RH end stamped nut and the center retainer were installed after. Put the lid on and give it a try.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
Also you can slip (something like a door wedge - something that will not scratch the paint) at the drivers end of the rod at the hinge to keep it seated at that end as you start installing the rod in place. This will help keep that end from popping out. San Jose workers just used an electrical clip or an extra donut  depending on year and month. Often leaving it in during painting and delivery
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
With the trunk lid on, the torsion rod was successfully installed.  When I close the trunk lid, bammo!  The retainer washer on the end of the torsion rod comes off and the torsion rod pops out of the passenger side hinge.  The arm on the passenger side hinge that the torsion rod fits into has side ways movement when closing the trunk lid.  Is this normal or could the hinge be worn out?  The hinges in general seem to have a lot of play in them but I don't know if this is causing my problem.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
How much "side play" is there on the small short arm that connects the rod to the hinge?

If that end of the arm/bar is worn or the rivet is not tight it will allow side play and put additional pressure on the end clip (on the torsion bar)  and pop it off. Add this problem to an old worn retaining clip on the end of the bar - BAMM  :(  ......... Seen it before
Jeff Speegle

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »
From the search feature - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3764.msg20500#msg20500
Jim

I saw this link hen I did my searching.  I found it informative.

How much "side play" is there on the small short arm that connects the rod to the hinge?

If that end of the arm/bar is worn or the rivet is not tight it will allow side play and put additional pressure on the end clip (on the torsion bar)  and pop it off. Add this problem to an old worn retaining clip on the end of the bar - BAMM  :(  ......... Seen it before

There is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch play on the short arm and the clip was removed before so as you said the clip is probay worn out since the trunk worked fine before I took it apart.  I'll have to see if I can find a suitable replacement clip untill the part is reproduced of I find a good used one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:44:36 PM by markb0729 »

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »
     The end clip has been MIA for years on my car and does not seem to affect the trunk lids operation.  Perhaps keep on looking around for another suspect area ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Brian, Your clip is missing and you don't have any problems....  Interesting.  There is also play in the hinges themselves and not just the short arm on the passenger side hinge where the torsion bar connects so that is probably also contributing to the problem.  Sounds like the parts are tired and worn out.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »
  I'd like to keep the installation as it was from the factory but the retaining clip is not reproduced.
Not yet at least http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11677.0
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
I had this same problem on mine, lucky I didn't have the trap door in so I was
able to move the torsion bar to get the trunk lid open.
I found some of the slide on clips at the local hardware store, actually put two on
next to each other for added insurance.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Here are three pictures of a Sept 11, 64 San Jose build Fastback trunk torsion rod. To install, the rod was "hooked" into the RH trunk hinge and slid into the slot in the LH trunk hinge up to the bracket. Note the clip. It looks like the clip used to hold the AT cooling lines together. At the same time as the rod is slid into the LH slot, the RH end is slid into the swinging arm. It is held in place by a 1/4 inch id washer and a cotter pin.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
Here are three pictures of a Sept 11, 64 San Jose build Fastback trunk torsion rod. To install, the rod was "hooked" into the RH trunk hinge and slid into the slot in the LH trunk hinge up to the bracket. ...........

Yes think that was the last month they used that configuration at San Jose (very short period)

Looking at my pictures I see that Dearborn was using that configuration (with the electrical clip inserted on the drivers side loop in the rod) in August 64

5F09C2682xx

Jeff Speegle