Author Topic: Big block steering hose index bracket original vs. repro  (Read 2680 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Big block steering hose index bracket original vs. repro
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »
I recently picked up a nice used index bracket for my '68 390GT project. It was advertised as, and appears to be, an original bracket. There is an impression in the metal where it was mounted to the pump, so it is used even if not original. One of the "fork tines" that guides the steering hose had a chamfer on the outside, but it didn't look like damage or an intentional modification, so I decided to do a little investigation.

The edge of the chamfer does not have any burrs or tooling marks that would suggest modification. The curvature of the chamfered face is consistent with it being present prior to forming the "rail". See IMG_099b.jpg.

Photos of a used bracket on the WCCC web site (The "C8OZ" photos) show this same chamfer. Not much data go on, but two brackets with the same feature is highly coincidental. (Iam Fleming said in one of the James Bond novels: "once in happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.")

Looking at my bracket and the WCCC bracket, I noticed another section of rail on both that appeared deliberately unformed. See photo IMG_0097b.jpg. The intent seems to be to allow the bracket to slip into place over the pump outlet fitting when the nut is present.

For comparison, see the last photo. This photo is from the Semo website showing the reproduction bracket they are currently offering. Note the fully-formed rail in both locations. There is one other minor sifference - where the rail on the tine opposite of the chamfered one ends, the repro bracket rail does not blend the rail into the triangular web. The two suspected original brackets are blended. The blend can be seen out-of focus in photo IMG_099b.jpg. In all other respects the repro bracket seems to be quite faithful to the original.

I have a few questions.
  • Are my bracket and the WCCC bracket truly originals?
  • Were there different versions of the bracket from different suppliers or time periods that would account for changes in these details?
  • Does anyone else have photos of original brackets that they can share?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: Big block steering hose index bracket original vs. repro
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
Uploaded my reference pics for your review: http://imgur.com/a/b8Vwg
I believe that these are examples of 4 original brackets - multiple angles of each.

Anyone have pics of this bracket in place on the car?

*On a related note, I'm looking for an original bracket myself, in case anyone has an extra one they can part with.

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
That indexing bracket can also be found on 1968 6 cylinder cars.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »
Uploaded my reference pics for your review: http://imgur.com/a/b8Vwg
I believe that these are examples of 4 original brackets - multiple angles of each.

Looks like the suspected original brackets match each other, with slight variations in the forming. Thanks for posting the photos! FYI: the last three photos, with the blue-and-white speckled table or floor background, are my bracket. The photos are from the ebay auction that I purchased it from!
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
FYI: the last three photos, with the blue-and-white speckled table or floor background, are my bracket. The photos are from the ebay auction that I purchased it from!

It seems I'm always just a little bit too slow on those :-(

Good tip on the '68 6-cylinder cars though, thanks Scott!
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »
It seems I'm always just a little bit too slow on those :-(

I wasn't trying to rub it in  :(   If I run across another one for sale, I will let you know.
Dave Z.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
I wasn't trying to rub it in  :(   If I run across another one for sale, I will let you know.

LOL!  No worries!  That was the 2nd one that I missed out on, that's all :-)

Thanks for keeping me in mind if you come across another one, I appreciate it!
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!