Author Topic: Repro steering wheels  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Chris

Repro steering wheels
« on: May 10, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
I ordered a reproduction steering wheel (Scott Drake version) for my 64 1/2 generator car since I could not find an original (not in white anyway). I think the steering wheel is missing parts but need help confirming this.

The steering wheel has the correct hole in the front for the horn brush that gets inserted for 64 1/2 cars...but the horn brush is sliding too far in, going all the way inside the steering wheel and therefore not making contact with the horn button that fits on the front of the steering wheel.

On the backside of the steering wheel is a metal ring held on by three screws. When this is removed, the inserted horn brush can be seen. There is nothing else under the metal ring, nothing supporting the horn brush that gets inserted.

Are there internal parts missing that are supposed to be under the metal ring on the backside of the steering wheel? Seems like the repro wheels may not be coming with all they need to work. I know 65/66 wheels are supposed to have a pad and smaller metal ring under the main metal ring...not sure if this and anything else is supposed to be there for 64 1/2 steering wheels.

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Hawkeye

Re: Repro steering wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »
Hmm, I should give my mechanic a call and see if he had any issues since he's changing the steering wheel (or has already done it) on my '64 1/2.  I ordered the Scott Drake steering wheel, and basically everything else related to it.  Not only have my horns not worked since I pulled the wires a couple decades ago because they would shut up, the turn signals don't automatically stop.  He's had it a couple weeks now, and I haven't heard from him about any issues, so he either hasn't gotten to that yet, or had no issues.

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
Here are the pictures.

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
The 64 1/2 electrical assembly manual (Osborn) does not show any extra parts (pic attached). It does not show the backside of the steering wheel either.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
Horn is fixed. Turns out what you need is a guide to hold the horn brush in place. The reproduction steering wheel just has a hole to insert the horn brush into the steering wheel. It then rests on the metal plate attached to the backside of the steering wheel. Problem is, the horn brush slides sideways against the metal support plate when pressed in, sinking into the steering wheel versus springing straight back up. The horn brush itself is plenty long, used NOS brush, it just needs support to keep from sliding along the smooth metal support plate, otherwise it bends and sinks into the steering wheel and won't make contact with the horn button.

I cut a plastic straw the depth of the hole, from the face of the hole on the steering wheel to the metal plate attached to the backside of the steering wheel (about 3/4 inch long). I then slit the straw lengthwise so that it would adjust to the diameter of the hole in the steering wheel that the horn brush goes in. This worked very well, supported the horn brush and prevented the sliding along the metal support plate.

Pics attached.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:03:46 PM by Chris »

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
Got mine back last week, and one of the horns works fine, I guess one is broke, but didn't get into the details.  One working is sufficient.  He didn't mention any problems with the brushes or fit.