Author Topic: 68 Tilt Column Problem  (Read 1440 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 Tilt Column Problem
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
I tried fixing a bad turn signal switch by installing a new one and now my tilt column won't function in the manual tilt mode with the stalk. The stalk seems to push on the tiny white nipple and the big steel bent bar but it appears that one jaw engages the cogs but the opposite jaw sits on the face of a cog. I did have some problems feeding in the wires from the switch and may have forced something. Do I need professional help? My wife says I do all the time.

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Re: 68 Tilt Column Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
If memory serves me correctly, only one prawl engages the groove at a time, the other will sit on top of the cog, thus allowing the Seven positions (side to side).  As far as your plastic not releasing the prawl, make sure it is not bound up. 
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:04 AM »
For one thing, one of your pins is half way out on the one jaw. Very common issue, hopefully that will solve your problem.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
 I believe the plastic plunger sinks down fully. So it sounds like the jaws/prawls are supposed to be engaged on one side and on top of the cog on the other side which is the condition I currently have. Is there anyone out there who specializes in repairing these?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:41:24 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
I've worked on these several times over the years (not so much in the past few years).

Be sure you have the turn sig handle on the correct side af the "bendy-bar",  stands out as a possible mistake that can be made.
Otherwise, it is difficult to see by the pictures provided just went wrong for you.

Where on the planet is the car at?

EDIT: I just looked at one. Looking through the hole where the handle goes into the column, the white pin is in the back, then the bendy-bar against the pin, then the handle presses against the bendy-bar. The handle pushes on the bendy-bar, not the pin. It is possible to have the handle (or stalk as you call it) between the pin and the bendy-bar which will give you what you seem to be describing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:23:51 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
67 GTA I am pretty sure that before I disassembled it the turn stalk was on the outside of the bendy bar as you call it. I don't think it could be installed any other way as the stalk goes into a pivot point in the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch is too thick to do this incorrectly. There is a definite possibility that I fed the wires from the switch in the wrong area which caused the mechanism to bind. In the attached pic you can see where i fed the wires. It appeared to be the only place where they would fit. To understand where the area is you should be able to see where the large opening is in the upper ring for the stalk to pass through. To me it almost appears that the bendy bar is partially depressed thus it doesn't have enough travel to disengage the pawl from the cog. Just my uneducated guess though and foggy memory of what i was experiencing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:08:21 PM by 68 S Code »