Author Topic: 68 390GT intake manifold bolts  (Read 3166 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
68 390GT intake manifold bolts
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:20:31 AM »
For a 68 S code motor, should the rear two intake manifold bolts have the 1" spacers? I picked up the engine shown ~1986. It is an S code engine, unknown whether it came out of a Mustang. The photo shows a different bolt on the LH side, that was where I hooked the chain to hoist the engine out of the truck The one with the spacer appeared untouched, and best I could tell it looked like the engine had never been apart. (Block was cracked, unfortunately, but the intake, heads, valve covers, etc. will go onto a nice low-mileage block I have)

As long as I'm on the subject of intake manifold bolts, does anyone [I'm looking at you Jeff  ::)] have photos of which bolt is used to secure the LH smog tube to the intake? It looks like it has to be either the front left intake bolt or the coil bracket bolt.

Piecing a correct engine together entirely from scratch is one heck of a task! But when I'm done I'll have a nice complete Bill of Materials for anyone else who needs to do one...  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:12:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 390GT intake manifold bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
For a 68 S code motor, should the rear two intake manifold bolts have the 1" spacers? I picked up the engine shown ~1986. It is an S code engine, unknown whether it came out of a Mustang. The photo shows a different bolt on the LH side, that was where I hooked the chain to hoist the engine out of the truck The one with the spacer appeared untouched, and best I could tell it looked like the engine had never been apart. (Block was cracked, unfortunately, but the intake, heads, valve covers, etc. will go onto a nice low-mileage block I have)

As long as I'm on the subject of intake manifold bolts, does anyone [I'm looking at you Jeff  ::)] have photos of which bolt is used to secure the LH smog tube to the intake? It looks like it has to be either the front left intake bolt or the coil bracket bolt.

Piecing a correct engine together entirely from scratch is one heck of a task! But when I'm done I'll have a nice complete Bill of Materials for anyone else who needs to do one...  :D
Not Jeff but the intake would have the spacer from ones I have seen. The tall driver side smog tube is secured by the coil bracket bolt . Many times the coil bracket will not have the extra brace that many do because the smog bracket adds extra support for the coil. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
Not Jeff but the intake would have the spacer from ones I have seen. The tall driver side smog tube is secured by the coil bracket bolt . Many times the coil bracket will not have the extra brace that many do because the smog bracket adds extra support for the coil.

Thanks Bob! Still hoping Jeff has photos  ;)   Does the smog bracket go under the coil bracket, or above?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
About that spacer;  Take a look at the distanced traveled from the intake surface to the block.  In order to use one size bolt, through out, a spacer is needed for the rear two locations.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
Thanks Bob! Still hoping Jeff has photos  ;)   Does the smog bracket go under the coil bracket, or above?
Jeff, no doubt has photos somewhere. I am amazed how he keeps track. Under the coil bracket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
About that spacer;  Take a look at the distanced traveled from the intake surface to the block.  In order to use one size bolt, through out, a spacer is needed for the rear two locations.  Brian

Yep, the engine had spacers on both rear locations before I removed the LH one to attach a chain. I didn't want to bend the intake bolt, so I used a different one instead.

I've read various thoeries about why the spacers were used. My thought is that maybe a multi-head power wrench was used to tighten all five per side in one shot, and it was simpler to keep all the sockets at the same length by spacing the rear bolt heads to the same height as the rest. Does anyone know the real reason?
Dave Z.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
I was asked about the manifold bolts and my research turned up very little information. Pictures do not do much to solve this situation. What is needed is either direct documentation or a direct measurement. On the documentation part, the Osborn manuals do not have this information, my 1975 edition of Ford Car Parts (aka Master Parts Catalog - MPC) book skips over 68 manifold bolts in the manifold illustrated section and the part number section. Other years and similar big block engines are also lacking specific information.
What I am asking is for someone to remove a few intake manifold bolts for big block engines used on Mustangs and measure them: diameter; pitch; overall length; thread length; head markings; location on the manifold; other attributes associated with that bolt, spacer, washer (with dimensions), also used for what accessories.
The same situation applies to the two bolts used for the water outlet on big blocks for the applications listed above (engine, year, etc). I have this much on these two bolts, they may be 358805-S7, 3/8-16X1 1/4 hex split ring lock washer (see pg 36 of AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners) as referenced in the 73-79 Ford truck MPC.
Any information found will be entered in the appropriate Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets for future reference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
     FWIW some information from my recent 428 intake swap.  Should be the same for the 390 ? The intake bolts (10) are 2 & 1/2" long.  The 1" spacers are for the rear two bolts.  One each side.  The Tap/Clean out case shows the dimensions at the bolt holes in the heads.  Brian
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:53:21 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
Looked through my pictures - unfortunately no clear picture of the forward driver's side  thermactor attachment point   - close up showing the details. Everything is in the way - breather hoses, air cleaners, coil itself, AC compressor ...... But you did IMHO get the correct information about the attachment point and the rear spacers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
     FWIW some information from my recent 428 intake swap.  Should be the same for the 390 ? The intake bolts (10) are 2 & 1/2" long.  The 1" spacers are for the rear two bolts.  One each side.  The Tap/Clean out case shows the dimensions at the bolt holes in the heads.  Brian
The pictures are nice and most of what is needed is sort of represented. I get hammered for looking for absolutes: the thread has been documented as 3/8-16, the lengths vary, the bolt style changes, the head marking is still vague. Can you be more specific? Sorry to be gruff, my objective is verbal, not pictorial.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

Re: 68 390GT intake manifold bolts
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
     I understand.  " The intake bolts (10) are 2 & 1/2" long.  The 1" spacers are for the rear two bolts holes.  One each side. "  For my application I used different length bolts and perhaps should not have posted the picture.  I cannot verify with any confidence the style or head marking for the original assembly plant motor.  With this much of the info provided it may not be necessary for an original motor owner to remove any bolts.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
The pictures are nice and most of what is needed is sort of represented. I get hammered for looking for absolutes: the thread has been documented as 3/8-16, the lengths vary, the bolt style changes, the head marking is still vague. Can you be more specific? Sorry to be gruff, my objective is verbal, not pictorial.
Jim

Jim, in this next week I will be able to get measurements and photods of the intake bolts and spacers from the S code motor in the photo at the beginning of this discussion. I have a couple of other 390s (66-67-68) that I will get as many measurements from as I can. I don't think any of them have thermostat housing bolts, which is why I was searching for the info in the first place.

Once this topic is cleared up, perhaps I'll talk to you about the mess I'm finding for info on the big block alternator/smog pump bracket fasteners.  ::)   Lots of conflicting info, but maybe you've got it sorted out already. I need to spend more time studying your spreadsheet.
Dave Z.