Author Topic: Paint Markings Found Under Paint, 67 San Jose  (Read 2814 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Paint Markings Found Under Paint, 67 San Jose
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:00:13 AM »
While media blasting my 67 coupe over the weekend, I found evidence of two grease marker style assembly codes UNDER the engine bay black paint
First one, located just inboard of where the headlight area of the fender attaches to the radiator support was the interior option code, a number & letter. It was easy to figure out what it was for.

The 2nd one was on the right front apron panel, next to the battery and I have no clue what it stands for. I can make out what looks to be "AVBL" and here is an image to help out.

Since these markings are there, I will most likely put them back, even though they are painted over.

Does anyone have a clue what the "AVBL" deciphers into? I know it would be something early in the assembly line since it would have been put on before the paint. If it helps, some of the options the car was ordered with that might need mentioning in the early assemblyline are:  White vinyl roof, Disc Brakes, Floor Console, Rocker Panel Moldings. I know at least the vinyl roof cars were prepped differently than coupes that were without, the other options listed or not included in my brief list, I wouldn't think mattered early in the assemblyline.

(also found the letter "D" on the forward area of the right front apron, but on top of the black paint)

Richard
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:36:53 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Re: Paint Markings Found Under Paint, 67 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »
Richard, looks pretty familiar.  See this post.  Note that the pictures were no longer attached, so I modified the post to reinstate them.  John

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1490.msg7536#msg7536

Also if you have a picture of the "D" that would be appreciated.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
Richard, looks pretty familiar.  See this post.  Note that the pictures were no longer attached, so I modified the post to reinstate them.  John

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1490.msg7536#msg7536

Also if you have a picture of the "D" that would be appreciated.

Thanks John, hopefully others can decypher thse someday

Picture of the "D"

DISCLAIMER!!!! This image is of an original marking of the letter "D" commonly found in this area on most unrestored 67 Mustangs.
DUPLICATING THE EXACT IMAGE IS NOT SUGGESTED, it is only a reference point of where to look. Consider that the battery apron is nothing more than a scribble pad for the line workers ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:22:56 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
Agreed.  Regarding the "D" is that in white or yellow or ???
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »
Agreed.  Regarding the "D" is that in white or yellow or ???

I took it as faded yellow...or the white that yellowed some over time! I'll not make such a call  ;) but if I were to guess, I'd say YELLOW! I think I have another shot of it somewhere, this one was a once-around-the-car set of images right before blasting away, kind of a "just in case I missed something" set of pictures. If I find another picture later, I'll update the thread and notify you.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:20:01 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
Is it more of a Springtime or Phoenician or Meadowlark yellow?  .....jk  Thanks - I understand the dilemma about making a determination considering the exposure over time.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
I found a similar "D" written in the same location (battery tray apron) on my Dearborn '66 fastback.  I always wondered what that was supposed to indicate.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
Let me try this

Fist the multiple letters and numbers were applied at a different time and by a different person IMHO than the "D" and other writing/Marking so we need to try and keep the discussion focused

The "D" is a typical mark found on the front sheet metal of the unibody after the black engine compartment paint. Still have not been able to find a worker who can recall the purpose for the mark and it was used on just about every Mustang built at San Jose - all years

In 67 the "D"s were normally found in one of three locations - likely a result of three different workers assigned to applying that mark and which one worked on a specific shift.  This pattern is easiest illustrated in the pictures of the rows of 67 Mustangs sitting in LAX waiting to be converted to Shelbys

Now the (often) long list of letters and numbers was applied to bare steel prior to any paint. IMHO and from my research its could on about 1 in 1000 Mustangs

I have referred to it as the "list" just to have an identifiable name for keeping track of the cars and markings. It has been found on San Jose built Mustangs and other cars built there from 1967 through 1969 production. Similar markings have been seen on 64-65 Dearborn built Mustangs

- Currently (including yours) only have records from 18 1967 San Jose Mustang examples

- Often if the car has the markings on one side it has them on the other side (same forward panel)

- Think its a possibility that the panels could have received the markings before they ever reached the car assembly plant. Applied at the stamping plant

- In most cases the information is applied in two or in some cases even three lines

Third grouping of marks you found (colors and holes/brackets)  - you figured out their purpose already. Been discussed numerous times here and the practice appears to have been used at all plants though not on a regular basis (likely a shift thing) all years.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)