Author Topic: How many bolts in the Radiator Support - 3 or 5?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline dave6768

How many bolts in the Radiator Support - 3 or 5?
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
68 New Jersey, J code, no AC.

The center section that has the hood latch... I far as I can remember, neither my 67 or 68 ever had 5...just 3.

I currently have 3 in my 68 and was deducted a point in Augusta.  Just wanted to get my facts straight.

Dave

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: How many bolts in the Radiator Support - 3 or 5?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
The number of bolts at the hood latch  to radiator support is determined the type of radiator (heavy duty versus standard). If there are two saddles on the frame strut rod supports for the radiator to sit in and there is a bracket that uses the extra two holes on the hood latch support, then you have a heavy duty radiator (and you would have 5 bolts through the latch and radiator support). If your radiator is held to the radiator support by 4 bolts on the sides of the radiator then you have a standard radiator (and you would only have 3 bolts).

Sounds like a judging error may have been made on your 68. As a past judge, I have always told owners that for every mistake I may have made, I missed at least two others on the car! The judges do their best in the time frame they have.

Which 68 was yours at the Augusta show?

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline dave6768

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
Thanks Pete.  I was the Wimbelon White convertialbe with light blue stipes outside in the Occsaional Driven Class (still slowly working toward concourse when/where practical.)

In this case the one point was the difference between silver and gold.  Oh well!

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
It would be best to take MCA judging concerns to the appropriate MCA assistant national head judge. We feel you pain but nothing can be done here.
Marty

Offline dave6768

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
I completely understand.  I was just doing my homework before I went to the MCA.  ;)

I plan to write a very nice letter and plead my case.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
I completely understand.  I was just doing my homework before I went to the MCA.  ;)

IMHO pretty decent place ;) to do your homework !!
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dave6768

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »
Nice letter written and sent to the appropriate Asst. Head Judge.  If nothing else, I hope they use my experience to improve the process.

By the way Jeff, I was one of the mob that spoke to you at the show about what a great job you guys do here   8)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
Great to meet another member of the site. Hope to meet up at some future show again.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)