Author Topic: 1970 351 air cleaner decal color - Early Dearborn Engine Decal placement  (Read 1848 times)

Offline razrbak

Evening everyone,

I also had a question on the engine bay decal placement for this car, so I thought I would just modify my original post and title. 

Car is a 1970 Mach 1, 351W-2v.  Built at Dearborn on 09/24/69, no A/C.
Here is an example of the air cleaner decal I ordered from one of the major parts houses.  Unlike Jeff's image below, the reproduction's background color is all the same and is basically day-glow orange.  The image doesn't do it justice on just how bright it is.  Is this the only option on these that is available?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:29:21 PM by razrbak »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 351 air cleaner decal color - Early Dearborn Engine Decal placement
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
Only have two suppliers of most of the decals - Osborne and ECS. If one of those does not have an acceptable product your left with little choice short of making them :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline razrbak

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Do you know if the decal in your image above is original and correct for my car?  You originally posted that image in another thread of mine concerning the breather cap, but not the decal.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »
Do you know if the decal in your image above is original and correct for my car?  ..........

That appears to be and was reported to have been an unrestored car from the same plant and period as your car. Another angle/shot of the same. With what remains of the other decals sure looks original to me

A couple of examples a month before and a month after - same plant

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline razrbak

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:45 AM »
Again,  Thank you very much Jeff.  You're knowledge and willingness to spend time to help us all out is very much appreciated.

Michael

Offline razrbak

Morning Everyone,

Just wanted to follow up on this topic.  I spoke with David Osborn about the reproduction decals.  He kindly sent me a picture of a 351-4v original decal and his reproduction version (top).  While there are several differences, the colors are fairly close and I've decided to go ahead and use it for now.  (until a better version comes along).