Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 Stripes  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 Mach 1 Stripes
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
When were the Mach 1 reflective stripes put on the car ?  After paint but before the assembly process, at the end of the assembly or somewhere in between ?  The chart, from the ' 69 Ford Mustang illustrated Facts Book ', below indicates the color of the stripe kit was determined using the cars exterior paint color/code.  More than one stripe kit was available for each exterior paint color/code.  How was that determined and how was it indicated ?  My build sheet, line A, for my T5, Candy apple Red with black out hood treatment doesn't seem to indicate which stripes and line C, square 39, reflector is empty.  So how was Black w/Gold  decided upon rather than White ?  Would the call out have been on the Buck Tag ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:30:24 PM by J_Speegle »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mach 1 Stripes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
When were the Mach 1 reflective stripes put on the car ?  After paint but before the assembly process, at the end of the assembly or somewhere in between ?  The chart, from the ' 69 Ford Mustang illustrated Facts Book ', below indicates the color of the stripe kit was determined using the cars exterior paint color/code.  More than one stripe kit was available for each exterior paint color/code.  How was that determined and how was it indicated ?

Believe the stripes, like the hood black out and the pin stripes on earlier cars,  were added in the second half of the build and (as we've discussed before) the suggest color of the stripes were just that, suggestions and what an buyer would get unless they specified something else. Since it was typical, at the time, for them to wait for the car to be built rather than buying out of the inventory

My build sheet, line A, for my T5, Candy apple Red with black out hood treatment doesn't seem to indicate which stripes and line C, square 39, reflector is empty.  So how was Black w/Gold  decided upon rather than White ?

Not sure which buildsheet version you have (they changed during the production year)  stripe color on ones I have was found on line B box 41. Marked "Tape Stripe" The letter appears to identify the type/style of stripe to be installed (Mach, Grande, other models)

Now this only indicates that the side stripe was required but doesn't specify the color in itself. Will look a little deeper - Maybe this is where the suggested color comes into play- standard color except where indicated. Maybe a chart at that installation station

Believe the "Reflect." box is for other applications/car models

Nov 68 printing

Would the call out have been on the Buck Tag ?  Thanks,  Brian

Not listed on the buck tags IMHO Of course if they were that would suggest that they were applied during the first half of production and would require that these side stripes be applied while the body was still apart (fenders and such still off the car)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:47:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
     Thanks Jeff.  A copy of my build sheet and it appears that box 41 is empty.  Not a real vital question/answer item so please don't invest a bunch of time on it.  Just curious and though a member might know just off hand.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
     Thanks Jeff.  A copy of my build sheet and it appears that box 41 is empty.  Not a real vital question/answer item so please don't invest a bunch of time on it. ........

Oh you know me well enough to think I would try and run this down as far as currently possible :)

Boy that one is sure faded - can barely make out the V to the right of box 41. Wonder if there was something in the box originally that we just can't see any longer

At the same time, looking at my collection, it appears that I've got a fair amount of "early" Mach's (from Dearborn and NJ) without any markings in the "Tape" box.

Checking the buildsheets (all plants)  last/latest without any markings in the B 41 is from about the end of Oct 68 - Earliest example with a M in the C 41 box is in the middle of December 68

Great question  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 13Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »
Brian your car looks amazing, sorry I'm not a lot of help on the stripes...I have the same color code.
1969 Mach 1 R-Code 4-Speed (Dearborn built Jan 69)
1992 GT 5.0 5-Speed
2003 Cobra
2013 Shelby GT500