Author Topic: 65 Medium Blue Windlace Not Available?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline DM_1964

65 Medium Blue Windlace Not Available?
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
Does anyone know who stocks repo Windlace in Medium Blue?
I ordered blue from Mustangs Unlimited (MU) which is no where near medium blue, they've then advised they don't stock Medium Blue. I checked NPD and all they have is Dark Blue, Light Blue and Aqua, which is the same as what MU stocks.

Aqua looks the closest match by the pics but before I order again I'd like to see what others have experienced...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline DKutz

Re: 65 Medium Blue Windlace Not Available?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
I had the same issue  I ordered light blue first and it was way too light.  THen did dark blue and it looks fine...
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
For me personally I find the repro windlace to not match factory original windlace in pattern enough for my liking.  I clean them up and paint.  I have a stash in various colors from stripped cars if a piece is missing.  And yes there were some variations in time, and possibly multiple suppliers with different patters at the same time.  That would require a lot of research to get to the bottom of.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »
I had the same issue  I ordered light blue first and it was way too light.  THen did dark blue and it looks fine...
I guess the question is should there be a variance in color between the windlace and the vynil? Any chance of posting a pic of yours?

For me personally I find the repro windlace to not match factory original windlace in pattern enough for my liking...
I do still have the originals somewhere (I hope I have all pieces) will just have to dig them up and have a close look at them and see if they can be reused.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:36:24 PM by DM_1964 »
Regards,
Dom

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
I guess the question is should there be a variance in color between the windlace and the vynil? Any chance of posting a pic of yours?

Mines not close to vinyl color
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »
Does anyone have pics of the windlace of an original medium blue interior? I'd like to see the difference between the windlace against the vinyl...
Regards,
Dom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »
Does anyone have pics of the windlace of an original medium blue interior? I'd like to see the difference between the windlace against the vinyl...

Depends on the lighting, camera and your monitor settings :)

Hope this helps in some way. Have plenty more

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
Thanks Jeff, looks like there were some variances, I guess things stand out when they're new and put back together.

Still searching for my originals, I've seen to misplaced them, I'll make a decision once I find them, either use them or buy the dark blue...
Regards,
Dom

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
The 2nd pic is the most accurate reference of original medium blue windlace. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:47:35 AM »
Can't say I see much of a variance in pic 2, however that is against the painted dash, perhaps if it was against the rear vinyl upholstery it may be a shade out cause of the different material types...

I did buy the interior medium blue in a spray can to paint a test panel, didn't really match the vinyl, probably best to match the paint to the vinyl color to get a uniform look between the doors and dash rather than the chance of someone saying that the color is completely off, and just put up with whatever difference there is with the windlace...
Regards,
Dom