Author Topic: Interior black charcoal metallic !?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline mhubert89

Interior black charcoal metallic !?
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone know where we can buy somes interior paint (black charcoal) for my 68 in pint/quart or only can find the paint in cans ?
Thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Interior black charcoal metallic !?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone know where we can buy somes interior paint (black charcoal) for my 68 in pint/quart or only can find the paint in cans ?
Thanks
You can purchase it in cans from your professional auto paint store . You will have to have a patient counter man to look it up in the books covering the older 60's colors. It typically is sold in pints and quarts as a lacquer with flex agent added. Ask your paint seller to be sure but typically it doesn't have to be reduced and shot right out of the can. It is known under a variety of names dark charcoal metallic , dark charcoal etc depending on supplier. FYI you need to lay down a base coat of black first because the charcoal is thin and doesn't cover well. If you don't lay down a dark base coat you will have to apply so much material to cover that it will fill up the grain texture in a bad way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »
.......... FYI you need to lay down a base coat of black first because the charcoal is thin and doesn't cover well. If you don't lay down a dark base coat you will have to apply so much material to cover that it will fill up the grain texture in a bad way.

+1 - Suggest you do a search - should be a half dozen of threads covering suggestions about how to apply and coat your interior parts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »
thanks for your answer, but its not for apply the paint..just want to know if they have a store that i can only order a pint of this paint online because over here nobody can have this paint !!
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
or if someone have a formula to make it !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Not quite that easy. Every paint mfg has a different formula . Best to start with your first choice store and work your way down the list.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

Codes are listed in the FAQ thread at the top of the 69-70 Section and in the paint article in the 69 Mustang section of the Library.

It is the original/old code and may or not be of any use 50 years later. Depending on supplier it can often be very thin  - minimal amount of color in a clear carrier- the reason so many of us use a very thin base coat of black

Rattle cans of the product are available if you choose to go that route. Or (as mentioned in many post) you can use TCP Global and they can ship you a quart or so
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:46:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Codes are listed in the FAQ thread at the top of the 69-70 Section and in the paint article in the 69 Mustang section of the Library.

It is the original/old code and may or not be of any use 50 years later. Depending on supplier it can often be very thin  - minimal amount of color in a clear carrier- the reason so many of us use a very thin base coat of black

Rattle cans of the product are available if you choose to go that route. Or (as mentioned in many post) you can use TCP Global and they can ship you a quart or so

that's help ! thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »
I have been reading up on the application of the dark charcoal metallic....and there is a lot of guidance provided on this site - thank you.  I am about to paint the dash of a july 67 coupe, Metuchen, and I am wondering if Ford did any masking for this application of paint.  I know that it is the first paint application following the priming step and there really would not be a need to mask....but did not want to assume.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »
I have been reading up on the application of the dark charcoal metallic....and there is a lot of guidance provided on this site - thank you.  I am about to paint the dash of a july 67 coupe, Metuchen, and I am wondering if Ford did any masking for this application of paint.  I know that it is the first paint application following the priming step and there really would not be a need to mask....but did not want to assume.

They likely quickly masked the windshield opening and the edge of the door jamb just to keep overspray off the exterior of the car that would have cost time to clean up before the exterior was painted. these edges should not be visible in the finished product - after the body color and blacked sections were added later
Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
Thank you
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967