Author Topic: Front/Rear Glass & trim removal  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Angela

Front/Rear Glass & trim removal
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
I feel like this question must have been previously covered yet I didn't find any posts using the search box.

First, what's the best way to remove the stainless trim around the front and rear glass?

Second, for '70 glass, do I need to buy a glass glue cutting tool before I can remove the windshield and rear glass? I'm familiar with removal of this glass through '68 but have never done it on the 69/70 cars.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I could use some help such that I don't ruin the trim or break the glass. Thanks.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Front/Rear Glass & trim removal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
The moldings are very much similar to the 67-8 style. Using a molding tool, locate, lift & relaese each clip. Sometimes on stright moldings you can "slide" them (sideways) off the clips after releasing one or two. As far as the glass removal, using a thin, sharp knife, CAREFULLY cut a small slit into the butal (rubber) sealant. carefully insert a piano wire (or windshield removal wire) into the slit. Windshield removal kits are available. I imagine instructions are enclosed on how to "saw" the butal sealant at this point. Two people make it easier. Once you've cut all the way around, the glass lifts out easily. WARM, sunny days help too, but not required.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
Be very careful with the moldings; they can be very fragile and are difficult to remove even if you know where all of the retaining clips are.  It's one of those things you've got to just get the "feel" for, even if you have the special tool to release the clips.  Don't get frustrated if you can't get some of them to release.  Simply walk off and try again later.  It takes an extremely light touch to get the moldings off without damaging them.

And if the '70 is like a '69, the front windshield is glued/urethaned in place, but the rear window still uses a rubber gasket like the earlier cars.  For the rear window, once the moldings are removed, take a sharp razor blade or boxcutter and cut away the exposed portion of the weatherstrip.  Once that's done, the glass will easily lift out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:27:14 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »
Is there a preferred tool for removing (releasing) the molding clips? I see that NPD sells one and KD makes a different version as well. I'm wondering if one of these is useful based on others' experience? If not, what other tool should I use to remove the molding? I first need to get the molding off before I can attempt removing the glass.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:49 PM »
I would purchase one of the tools like the KD one to remove the trim. Easy to dent and ding these especially if you don't do it all the time. take your time and take breaks if needed.

As for the removal of the glass - I'm guessing that your saving the glass coming out. Biggest problem IMHO is even small chips on the edges of the glass - especially on the inner edges since wire or knives can get hung up on those chips and create a crack :(

I've always like using the knife and following with the wire if needed. Use to carry one of the knives in my pocket at work for mastic set windshield - of course there are less and less of those types of mountings on cars today. If you use a knife - don't run the blade against the edge of the glass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-99892.html

It helps if you have someone on the inside providing outward pressure at the area your working at the same time - open palms covering a wide area NOT concentrating on one tight area!!!

Depending on what product was used to install the glass the last time you could have pliable or really solid products holding the glass in place. If its the pliable original stuff then how hot (temperature) it is can effect dealing with it. Hot days around here means that the stuff reseals the moment you cut through it, but too cold and it can be like a rock.

Just what has worked for me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
I've always used the KD-style one with the two hooks, as seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-2038-Window-Molding-Remover/dp/B0002SRCN8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423235015&sr=1-1&keywords=window+molding+removal+tool

Keep in mind that most auto parts chains will have these (or similar) tools in stock.  You don't necessarily have to order from Amazon.  I know our local parts store has both styles in the bodywork section.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline rayms69

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
I just recently successfully removed my back window trim. I let goo gone gel soak into the original sealant, used a razor blade to to release the trim it was the original seal, careful and slow. Used the npd tool and block of would. There is a video on YouTube on tipsto remove trim. I didn't bend or screw anything up, so happy. Took lots of effort to clean out the channel around the glass/rubber seal. I plan on cutting the rubber and pressing out the windshield when it gets warm enough to do the headliner. Dont rush
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto