Author Topic: SCJ speedo cable  (Read 3566 times)

Offline rogerpir

SCJ speedo cable
« on: January 01, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone has pictures or description of the correct speedometer cable routing for a 1970 Mach 1 SCJ 4 speed. Are the clips NPD sells for the speedo cable correct?

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: SCJ speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:57:01 AM »
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone has pictures or description of the correct speedometer cable routing for a 1970 Mach 1 SCJ 4 speed. Are the clips NPD sells for the speedo cable correct?

Hi Roger, I'm in the same boat as you ~ I am wondering how my cable is supposed to be routed.  Mine comes out of the firewall and just runs across the top of the bellhousing - I'm sure it is supposed to be clipped up to the firewall somehow / somewhere, but like you I'm not sure about the details.
My cable does run through a clip attached a bolt on the right side of the bellhousing, but from there it just runs straight back to the speedometer gear reducer.

Do you have a link to the NPD clips?
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »
Here is the cable on my '69 SCJ.  I think the one at the firewall is more commonly a plastic clip instead of this loop style.  As far as the clip through the lower firewall, I know the one advertised is said to be correct but I disagree.  There is an AMK one that is closer IMO.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »

I had the same question but for a 69.  The ' J ' clip at the tunnel was in place. OE or not I don't know.  The clip at the firewall I got from, I think, NPD.  The mounting hole for it was already there, just below brake line, so that was a pretty good indicator where it should go.  From the tunnel ' J ' clip back to the reducer the cable is unsupported and I see no holes in the tunnel indicating missing attachments.  Brian

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5320.msg29817;topicseen#msg29817

5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
Well, I did find a nub on my firewall where the plastic hoop-style clip would have been.  I need to check for the clamp by the steering column.  I also need to take a closer look at the trans tunnel and see if I can find evidence of the other clips, and figure out what they used to connect mine to the bellhousing (I swear, it looks like a clamp for the starter cable).

Thanks for the pics and info so far.  I know the examples have all been for '69 cars, but I still really appreciate it!
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
Mike - I am working on a '70 B2 car and looking at the assembly manual, I believe it shows the same as '69 in this detail.  I used the AMK B-10276 clip (p. 147) because I thought the original finish on the one on my '69 car is probably zinc or cad under the grime and sound deadener.  However, I had to tweak the shape of it and remove the foam to make it fit properly.

AMK's B-10277 (same page) appears to be configured more correctly, but is black and I really don't think the one on my '69 is that color.  The "correct" one NPD sells is also black.

You will have to look at some original '70 cars or flip a coin on this I think.  Personally, I would go with the B-10277 (I did!).
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
Mike - I am working on a '70 B2 car and looking at the assembly manual, I believe it shows the same as '69 in this detail.  I used the AMK B-10276 clip (p. 147) because I thought the original finish on the one on my '69 car is probably zinc or cad under the grime and sound deadener.  However, I had to tweak the shape of it and remove the foam to make it fit properly.

AMK's B-10277 (same page) appears to be configured more correctly, but is black and I really don't think the one on my '69 is that color.  The "correct" one NPD sells is also black.

You will have to look at some original '70 cars or flip a coin on this I think.  Personally, I would go with the B-10277 (I did!).

Thanks Jim.  I went out last night and took a closer look at my car.  I found the hole in the trans tunnel where the clip is supposed to plug in (no clip), and as I mentioned before I found the stud for the strap (no strap).  But I do have the clip that is next to the steering column.  So one out of three :-/

Should be easy enough to track down the correct clips and get all that reinstalled properly (knock on wood).

Thansk for all the info, I appreciate it!
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!