Author Topic: HiPo z-bar question  (Read 2295 times)

Offline poboy427

HiPo z-bar question
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »
I'm planning to replace the stock 66 Shelby hipo clutch assy with the Centerforce DF 490030 pressure plate and disc. Supposedly this unit offers softer pedal but with at least as good if not better gripping force.

If I go to this type of clutch can I return to the stock looking HiPo Z-bar without issues of bending rather than running the modified Hipo Z-bar with the recommended gussets.

Thanks Ray

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: HiPo z-bar question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »
I used the stock non-HiPo z-bar and stock rods with the Centerforce clutch without any issues.  I did remove the over-the-top spring under the dash, though.  Although the HiPo set-up is a bit different than the stock z-bar, the mechanics are pretty similar.  There's a lot less forces involved with the Centerforce clutch.

Your left knee will thank you...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
I'm planning to replace the stock 66 Shelby hipo clutch assy with the Centerforce DF 490030 pressure plate and disc. Supposedly this unit offers softer pedal but with at least as good if not better gripping force.

If I go to this type of clutch can I return to the stock looking HiPo Z-bar without issues of bending rather than running the modified Hipo Z-bar with the recommended gussets.

Thanks Ray

Ray,

I'm using this set up in two different cars.  The Centerforce clutch works great.

Offline poboy427

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the clean z-bay without beefing it with gussets

Ray

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »
Ray,

I've been using this setup in my 66 GT350 for ~15 years. Original HiPo z-bar, clutch linkage, etc. Everything still work great.

Dave

Offline zray

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »
The dual friction Centerforce is a fine clutch. But maybe not as good for the stock flywheel as I had hoped.

I put one in my '66 GT350 early on in my ownership, around 2002 +/-. I had put a vintage Paxton on the car,and believed it needed the DF unit.  I was wrong.  After about 10,000 miles  I decided  the DF clutch was much more than the car needed, and had several disadvantages. So I made a change to the Centerforce 1.

Although the dual friction may require less or similar pedal force than a stock 3 finger clutch, that comparison is apples to oranges.  A diaphragm  clutch design will  always give a less or different feel. It's the holding power than is final determination of a clutches suitability.  The  Centerforce dual friction has plenty of holding power, but at the expense of the flywheel surface. It's overkill for a HiPo 289, and  despite the extra HP providing by the vintage Paxton on my car, the extra holding power was not needed.

When I took off the Centerforce dual friction I examimed the flywheel. I was not happy. The stock Ford flywheel that had lasted nearly 40 years without undue wear, was scuffed up and worn unevenly. Luckily it cleaned up with minimal material removal. I am very easy on a clutch, I've never  had to replace a clutch on ANY car I've owned due to my driving habits. So I was very surprised to see the flywheel surface negatively impacted.

Although skeptical of its suitability, I then tried the Centerforce 1.  As expected the pedal effort was easier than the dual friction or the 3 finger unit. I was pleased to discover it would hold perfectly when the Paxton boost  came on, and it remained on the car for the remainder of my ownership, about 8 years  / 45,000 miles. I'm sure it's still giving good service to the new owner 3 years after the sale in 2012,

Z

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:28:56 AM by zray »
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body