Author Topic: steering wheel to upper steering column coller gap  (Read 1496 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

steering wheel to upper steering column coller gap
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
what is the normal gap between the steering wheel hub and the steering column upper coller on a 1970 non tilt standard steering wheel & column, and can it be adjusted, mine is about 3/16 of an inch, thanks.

Offline rockhouse66

Re: steering wheel to upper steering column coller gap
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Can't you slide the column tube in or out of the firewall mounting plate and adjust this dimension?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
Can't you slide the column tube in or out of the firewall mounting plate and adjust this dimension?

Like the earlier years - I believe you are correct. Would have to loosen the clamp at the base and the mount at the dash mount.

Sorry I first read the post and thought he was having adjustment issues between the column and the dash :(    Thanks for putting the train back on the tracks  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Like the earlier years - I believe you are correct. Would have to loosen the clamp at the base and the mount at the dash mount.

Sorry I first read the post and thought he was having adjustment issues between the column and the dash :(    Thanks for putting the train back on the tracks  ;D
Thats the first thing i tried but might have missed something, will try again tomorrow, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:09:34 PM by kcodecoupe »

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:29:04 PM »
Well i looked back into the steering wheel gap issue and i think i solved it, i removed the steering wheel and and noticed a 3/4 inch long by 7/8 inch diameter coller resting on top of the upper steering column bearing retainer snap ring that should not have been there and was most likley put there by me 10 years ago by mistake, the steering wheel was not loose with this coller in-between it and the upper bearing snap ring but the gap was 1/4 inch wide ,after removing the coller the gap is now 1/8 inch wide and  looking and working normal, also there was no lock washer under the upper steering wheel retainer nut, should there be one ? , thanks for all the input . chuck.