Author Topic: 68 Fastback question  (Read 1678 times)

Offline harleydave

68 Fastback question
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »
Hi all, I haven't been here in a long while, and i'm not truly building a concours Mustang. I started with a "rusty roller" no engine or transmission, and missing many many parts. What I have now is a nice driver that would represent what someone would of done to "soup up their Mustang in the early 70's.

Anyway i'm trying to keep what I can correct and am putting the reproduction decals on the car. I can not seem to find a photo of the inside of the trunk on a 68 Dearborn fastback so I can place the decals correctly. Maybe one of you have a photo/ Thanks much.
Dave

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 68 Fastback question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »
Looks like a nice ride, Dave.

Here is a link to a thread that might help some. Hope it helps!

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3639.msg39685#msg39685

Richard

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
By the way, as you mentioned,

...i'm not truly building a concours Mustang.

...trying to keep what I can correct and am putting the reproduction decals on the car.

...a 68 Dearborn fastback so I can place the decals correctly.

Chances are some of your reproduction decals aren't all concours either (e.g., vinyl, not paper) and many decals are not reproduced correctly plus basically there is no "perfectly correct location" anyways for the spare tire decal, excepting somewhere on the right side of trunk lid & right side up. Every car deviated some from one another. Every worker on the assembly line(s) did things a bit differently than other workers.

My thoughts are, since you are NOT considering yours as "concours" and likely the decal you have isn't either, just slap it on randomly, with no perfect alignment to anything in particular such as other photos you might see, and it will look original to most people who would walk by. You can look at other photographs for a "basic idea" but try not to copy things from other images. Gets to be "cookie-cutter" and these old Mustangs were anything but cookie cutter.

Richard
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:25:55 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline harleydave

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
Thanks much. Now I just need to remove the paint from the latch receiver. Again, thanks. Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
Welcome to the site - Hope you find the information contained within helpful and useful in your efforts. 

Here is an additional example from Dearborn in 68 on a fastback

BTW think you might find that your trunk gasket may leak a bit installed the way you have it ;) Check where the ends of the gasket meet on the original
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:08:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline harleydave

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »
I see what you mean about the gasket, but in order to leak it would have to come in contact with water. Something I hope never happens. LOL. Dave