Author Topic: 1966 Mustang fleet car for Henry Ford Hospital  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Jgregorys

1966 Mustang fleet car for Henry Ford Hospital
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
I finally tracked down the original owner of my 1966 Mustang convertible...the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit! It was one of their fleet vehicle. Does anyone have any information on fleet Mustangs?

I bought the car from the second owner who purchased it in 1967 from the hospital's fleet lot. I'm the fourth owner after her grandson. I have the original window sticker confirming 17 options including 4-speed, pony interior, power top, limited slip, console, power steering, etc.  It's a strange combination for sure.

The two options not listed are a 8k Rally-Pac and Hi-Po fender badges (it's an A-code) which were on the car when she bought it in 1967. It has original paint and has never been wrecked. Could the badges be a factory mistake? I'm thinking about leaving them on.

Any help is appreciated.
Greg

Offline mtchstng65

Re: 1966 Mustang fleet car for Henry Ford Hospital
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »
Sounds interesting. Post some pics up.
1965 Fastback, 1966 Fastback, 1986 GT Hatchback (Unrestored), 2003 Mach 1,
2008 Shelby GT500,
641/2-66 Concours Mustang MCA Certified Judge & 1965-1966 Shelby MCA Certified Judge
www.showmemustang.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
First welcome to the site hope you find the site useful in your concours efforts

Likely just a perk for a high ranking administrator or doctor at the hospital - especially considering it's a load convertible.

The emblems and rally-pak were IMHO installed by the dealer or first "owner"  Ford didn't give free things away from the factory unless you were Henry or a family member ;)

If you leave the emblems in place I would guess that you will be looked at like so many other non-K code cars out there with the added emblems. Think you'll be worn out quickly by the same question or comment  over an over again -  Something like "is this a real K code?"  or one person telling the other fairly loud - "Oh its not an original K code ......"   Of course if you show the car expect a deduction for the emblems - but that will only be a small one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Jgregorys

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  A few pics are attached and a close up of the window sticker where you can see the fleet information.

What does IMHO installed mean?  I'm not familiar with that phrase.  I met the second owner yesterday who bought it from the Hospital used car lot.  She owned the car for 43 years until she gave it to her grandson who I bought the car from.  She thinks she has some period photos and documents she can give me...keeping my fingers crossed.

I also visited the hospital's library today where they informed me doctors had access to a free car, auto shop on site and one gas pump (free gas).  Those perks disappeared in the 70s along with any documentation which may have helped me put a name to my car.  Even without the name, I have full documentation of ownership and options thanks to the window sticker.

Thanks again,
Greg

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
IMHO----in my humble opinion...........welcome aboard!!
5F09C331248