Author Topic: 1967 Factory A/C Question  (Read 1005 times)

Offline hopeto

1967 Factory A/C Question
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
Starting to work on getting the air to blow cold on the 67. It's a fairly new acquisition and I have no history on whether it has ever worked since the car was redone. There was no freon in the system and the service valve on the suction side (top in picture) was frozen. I changed the service valve along with the drier and was getting ready to hook up a vacuum pump when I noticed that "I think" the hoses/service valves were connected wrong by the previous owner. Shouldn't the service valve with the hose going back to the firewall be installed on the top/suction side of the compressor. Should the service valve on the bottom/discharge side have the hose connected that goes forward to the condenser?.
This picture is the way they are currently. Should I remove the service valves (leaving hoses connected) and just reverse them? (put the bottom one on top and the top one on the bottom).
The top port is definitely the suction side in this picture.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 Factory A/C Question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
You are correct, they are reversed. It would have a tough time working like that.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
Should I remove the service valves (leaving hoses connected) and just reverse them? (put the bottom one on top and the top one on the bottom).
The top port is definitely the suction side in this picture.

+1
YEP, they are backwards. Yes, just unbolt from the compressor at that big nut. You may consider a new seal, though they are rather forgiving. If using R-12, DEFINATELY consider making sure there are no leaks first before adding the R-12. 'Stuff is liquid-gold ;)

If you haven't replaced the expansion valve and it's been down for a while, chances are it will be bad too. Personally, I wouldn't charge it without doing it too. If you choose to charge it anyways, be sure to have a good R-12manifold set and see if your pressures are correct per your ambient temperatures. Also, it might be worth loading it with 134a first for a trial run so long as you have a recovery system to remove and go back to R-12 after you find it working satisfactory. Some might scream "contamination" I say better to do that than blow off big $$$$ on R-12 that pretty much nobody has equipment for recovery any longer.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:52:19 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline hopeto

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.