Author Topic: Factory Hole Underneath '67 Rear Window Trim?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Factory Hole Underneath '67 Rear Window Trim?
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Hi guys, I've recently been working on fixing a water leak around the rear window on my '67 coupe.  After pulling off the stainless rear window trim, I was surprised to see this rather large hole on the passenger's side (indicated by the red arrow).  The driver's side doesn't have this.  Is this hole supposed to be here, or is it something that was added sometime in the car's past?  It looks like it would let water leak into the trunk.  I wanted to be sure about it before I filled it.

Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Factory Hole Underneath '67 Rear Window Trim?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
My SJ doesn't have that hole, only the 3 holes for the molding. I just verified.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
Don't have photos of that side and area to share but I would fill it if it was my car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.  I don't really know the best way to go about filling it.  If the rear window wasn't already in and sealed, I'd weld the hole up and grind it back down.  Since it's in place, I'm afraid to weld around the window, even if I lay something over it.  However, the hole is too big to try to fill with seam sealer or body filler.  I really don't want to leave it uncovered, as again, I think it's contributing to the water leak in the trunk.

I meant to mention it earlier, though I'm not sure it matters: this is a Metuchen car, built December 8th, 1966.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Ball up some 3M strip caulking and jam it into the hole. it will seal it and it will not fall out!

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
Ball up some 3M strip caulking and jam it into the hole. it will seal it and it will not fall out!

Pete, I thought about trying that, but it seems like that area takes the majority of the water run-off from the roof when it rains.  Do you think the strip caulk would hold up to being continuously hit with water when it rains?  It would be better if there was some way to access the back side of that hole, but that's virtually impossible.  I thought if I could access the back side, I'd jam some wire mesh behind the hole, cover it with fiberglass-reinforced filler (like Everglass), and be done with it.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
You could squirt some silicone in and it will never leak.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
  Do you think the strip caulk would hold up to being continuously hit with water when it rains?  It would be better if there was some way to access the back side of that hole, but that's virtually impossible.  I thought if I could access the back side, I'd jam some wire mesh behind the hole, cover it with fiberglass-reinforced filler (like Everglass), and be done with it.
Well Ford used strip caulk to seal several areas of all production cars. Also, when a car failed the water tests, typically the assembly plant would jam strip caulk or something very similar into the leaking area. I have never seen strip caulk fail to water.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
You might try some urethane it will be semi permanent compared to strip or rubber chalking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »
You might try some urethane it will be semi permanent compared to strip or rubber chalking

+1
Isn't that what Glass company's use to stop water leaks on cars?  :o It seemed the best obvious answer to me too!

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments